Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Collection agencies

Does anyone know if you can turn collection agencies in for harrassment and if so with whom you do it with? No I don't have a collection agency after me but I have one that calls two or three times a day to my house looking for someone I don't know. Not sure if she used my number on purpose or if she is a former owner of my house. Saturday when they called after me asking them numerous times to remove my number due to the person not living here I threatened to turn them in for continuous harrassing phone calls. Now they claim they'll stop (so far no calls today) but can I do it?


Asked by pagirl71 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 7 (176 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • Tell them they are in violation of the Federal Debt Collection Practices Act and that if they call again you will sue them for violation of federal law.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

  • Yes you can, you can look them up on once you find them you write a complaint or when they call again you ask to speak to their supervisor if they don't let you then go down to the police station (don't call 911) and tell them whats going on, they can block the number for you. Hopefully this helps if not call your phone company and tell them you want that number blocked or if it comes down to it and none of these work, change your number.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

  • Honestly, there is little you can do to stop it permanently. I have the same problem and so does my Mom. She was forced to change her phone number and no gets calls daily. She'll go off on them and it will slow down for a while...then they sell it to someone new and it beginns again. I get them for a former DIL. I have yet to get one single person calling to give me a true and accurate name or address of where or who they are calling from... Our adoption of the grandkids has been final almost 18 months but I did tell a collector this once : "Yeah, I know who she is, She' my POS ex daughter in law. I don't have a clue where she is. If you find that skank tell her She still owes me three yrs child support for before the adoption happened." The guy on the other end wa shocked I think. "I'm so sorry ma'am. We'll take your number off the list" It stopped for a while.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:01 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

  • Call your state attorney general. They should be able to do something.

    Answer by AuntieM at 4:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

  • There are 25 different companies looking for the person who used to have my phone number. I had the persons name and looked them up. Their name is very uncommon so I called the person and told them they needed to call every place and let them know to stop calling my house or I was giving them his new number and address. He said too bad for me and hung up. I called every place since I had written all their info down and gave them his new number and address. We live in a small town and I found out where he worked and gave them his new place of employment. He called me since he knew the number and got mad at me. I told him to bad for him and to deal with it and blocked his calls. I never got another call for him after that. lol

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

  • Thanks 7:52.

    Answer by pagirl71 at 2:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2009