Ughh can't take it anymore... how do I get cat piss out of my couch?

My husband brought home a "free" couch. Problem number 1! Anyway apparently a cat peed all along the tops of the two pillows that your back goes up against. How the hell do I get this smell out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Home & Garden

• You throw it away. Ok first try that pet odor stuff made by resolve if that doesn't work then seriously your sit out of luck. My mom had a nasty dog (small dog) that pooped and pissed on the couch and the pet odor resolve got most of the smell out, we threw the couch away after a few months...Gross!! Anyways hopefully it works.
    Anonymous

• ick...good luck with that one.I had a cat that use to pee EVERYWHERE...I ended up giving the cat away and I had to move.I couldn't get the smell out of the carpet.I threw away so much stuff that that cat peed on,clothes,towels,boxes of christmas stuff in the basement. The final straw was when the damn cat peed in my babies car seat , after I brought it home from my babyshower! My baby wasn't even born yet!! I was actually able to get the pee out of that because I caught it right away,tore the thing apart, put it in the washer with bleach and washed the entire thing down with bleach.I HATE cat PEEEEE!!!! LOL.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:59 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• go to Petsmart and get Nature's Miracle cleaner. it works really well.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Nasty, nasty, nasty! No way would I keep that couch!
    Anonymous

• yea i wouldn't let him bring it in the door! lol
    but..... if you gonna keep it....
    my cat (i almost threw her out after she did this) peed on my couch, in between the cushions (its a sectional/recliner couch) so it ran down and saturated both sides... i searched online for the best ways to clean it out. and its a microfiber fabric. i had too take my couch apart and what i found was to poor a solution of DREFT (baby laundry soap) and water onto the peed on spots. just completely saturate it. let it sit for just a little bit. and then i used my carpet cleaner vacuum with the attachment hose to suck all the pee and dreft water out. until it was dry. the idea is that dreft works to get pee out of diapers and stuff now im sure cat urine is worse than baby urine lol. and my cat drinks a lot of water so it wasnt to ammoniay bad. and you can use towels to soak some of it up too. if its still wet it can mold/mildew....
    codysmama2609

Answer by codysmama2609 at 3:46 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• it has been about 6 months or more and we still havent had any wiff of cat pee since i cleaned it..
    good luck
    codysmama2609

• borax. intructions are on the box under mattress.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 4:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Found a miracle product that only takes 2 capfuls mixed with water in a 16oz bottle. Saturate the cushions and use a white towel until the smell and discoloration is gone. Best part, it has a deterent in it to keep them from coming back. Message me for more details!
    GucciLea

Answer by GucciLea at 10:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• i like nature's miracle (as pp suggested). just make sure to thoroughly soak the stuffing and everything you think the pee touched
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• i also like the natures miracle, I have had a lot of training in the field of animals and if your cat is peeing in unwanted places it could be she is trying to tell you something, strange and that may seem its very common for them to do that. she may be trying to tell you she doesnt like her litter, her box isnt clean enough, some cats get so nuts they want it scooped every time they use it hence the auto scoopers, if they are recently declawed, they dont like the way the litter feels on their toes, they have an infection UTI or kidney infection or someother infection or sickness and want to be taken to the vet to get it figured out. My cat started peeing on my kids pillows, took her to the vet, she had an infected tooth and got her on antibiotics got the tooth pulled and she quit immediately.
    litleangel09

Answer by litleangel09 at 2:33 AM on Jul. 7, 2009