How far off are you from the typical stay-at-home-mom stereotype?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I try to stay as close to that stereo-type as possible, according to that definition. I don't see anything wrong with that. Call me old-fashioned, but I've always wanted to be a wife and mom first and foremost.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 5:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• What exactly IS the typical SAHM stereo-type?
    Anonymous

• What are the stereo types and I'll tell you if I am them or not?
    Anonymous

• I'm a stay at home mom, not sure what you mean by the "typical stereo-type". I stay at home, take care of my kids, take care of my house, run errands, volunteer at my kids schools, run kids around to their activities...
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 2:55 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• yeah it all depends on what stereotype you are using

i am FAR from the sit on the couch eating bon-bons watching soap operas stereotype. im FAR from the couldnt do anything else b/c im not very smart stereotype. im FAR from the my DH makes me stay home b/c i do what he tells me stereotype. im FAR from the staying at home makes me better than you stereotype. im FAR from the i must be here at all times to make sure my children stay protected in a bubble stereotype.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:58 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• WIKIPEDIA
    "housewife," where the woman cooks and cleans in addition to caring for children. But many modern housewives see their primary role as that of child-care providers—supporting their children's physical, intellectual, and emotional development. These housewives can be found in cooperative preschools and volunteering in numerous community organizations. Other aspects of home care (shopping, cooking, cleaning, yard work, home repairs, money managing, etc) are shared equally with their husbands or partners.
    Anonymous

• I've never heard of the stereo-type that SAHMs are stupid so they must stay home. lol
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't consider stay at home moms and housewives to the the same thing.
    Anonymous

• haha anon im just going off of what ive heard ppl say on CM.

and if you're using a definition...its not a stereotype :D
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• LOL I watch soap-opera's while I fold clothes and watch my kids read their books(help them at the same time) I manage ALL the money, bills, I cook, clean, take care of the kids, I don't get my DH's stuff ready and I don't make his lunch. I keep track of my DH's stocks online, I exercise, I tan, I keep my apperance up for my DH. I take my kids with me when I shop for groceries and for supplies for the month. My DH does the fixing things around here and he makes the money. But we spend it equally and when he gets off work he plays with the kids and spends time with me!! SO if thats typical then I guess I am!!
    Anonymous