how do I teach my 5 year old not to scream and yell at a adult?

My 5 year old got a little brother one month ago. he has 2 little sisters too but getting the litte brother changed it all. All of a sudden he is the king of back talking and yelling and just not listening. He will scream at my husband DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO if my husband tells him to knock something off. He does nto dare to do that with me. I am home with the kids all day so they seem to listen to me way more then him.

He also has a problem listening to me to but he will not yell back at me at least.

My son has ADHD and will give him a spanking for whatever he does wrong and 3 min later he is doing it again

He is about to start school and I have no idea how to get this in controll

it has only lasted for the last one month after his brother was born. Before that he was a perfect child.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• Check out Love and Logic of parenting
    Anonymous

• Should have started 4 years ago. duh.
    Anonymous

• A smack on the mouth? That is effed up. Kids mimic what htey see. They see violence they act violence. How terribly sad that you would do that to your own child. WIsh I could call CPS on you.
    Anonymous

• Spankings and htting him the in the face isn't going to help. He's obviously looking for some attention. And he has ADHD? You need to educate yourself onn positive ways to discipline AND on how to parent a child with ADHD. What's you're doing is not right.
    Anonymous

• Well, obviously, hitting the child is not working. Try taking away something he likes to do. And for the love of God, quit hitting him. He feels bullied by his parents so he is acting out.
    Anonymous

• lol i'll PM u my address and number so u can call on me. My son don't hit anyone EVER. All he does is yell and no one here does that so obviously it's not correct what u say. And a smack on the mouth is a little pat on the mouth, it don't hurt . I know first hand my parents used to do it to me and it worked with me. now if u have a better thing to do why don't u give me a suggestion instead of putting down what I am doing. ??? BTW my sister works in child protective services and knows what is legal and illegal. A tap on the mouth is legal and very very normal to do for back talking. CPS don't scare me lol. I am not hiding anything. I have done it at the store to him and right in front of a cop and the cop actually told me"nice to see a parent that actually disciplines their child when misbehaving"

Anonymous

• I discipline my daughter, and it has nothing to do with hitting her in the mouth or spanking her behind. You can learn to do so too. Just because it's "legal" doesn't mean it's ethical.
    Anonymous

• That is how i discipline my other 2 children as well and it works very well for them, they are extremely well behaved and have never ever got a spanking or anything like that. they are 3 and a half. But with my son it don't work what works with my girls. He needs a different style of parenting. time out get him worse(weird I know) taking toys don't face him. We have emptied his whole room once and he had to win them all back but that did not seem to stop his behavior problems. Thing is he is perfect every where else. At his sitter House that he goes to once a month she can not stop bragging about him. and it only happens when my husband comes home. Sometimes he does not listen during the day and he looses a dollar each time(he is saving money for a game) and that works very well when I am home. But the min hunny gets home he goes crazy..

Anonymous

• Are you in any groups that focus on parents with special needs children? Maybe they could give you some advice?
    Anonymous

• OMG!!!! She didn't say she beat her child! A smack on the butt doesn't hurt a darn thing! Good Grief. Maybe if more parents were to give there child an occasional swat we wouldn't have elementary kids doing drugs. Which would you rather put up with? Having to give you kid a swat on the butt (with your hand) or having them come home from 3rd grade expelled for dealing? Sounds ridiculous but it happens. And no your kid isn't immune from it.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 4:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2009