Putting my tot in daycare: bad idea??

I don't have any friends (or friends with kids) where I live, so my daughter doesn't get to interact with other children. She's 12 months old and has never been apart from me. I'm beginning to worry that she'll lead an isolated childhood all because of ME.

There's a child care center nearby that has a program for 12-18 months olds. It is 3 hours per day, for 2 days per week. I think it would be good for my daughter, because she'll get to play with other toddlers her age. And I think the short separation will be good for the both of us.

Do you think I'm a bad mom for wanting to put her in daycare? I just want her to be with other kids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it is a good idea. When my oldest turned 2 I put him in daycare/preschool 2 mornings a week. At that time there were no kids in our family, none of our friends had kids, and we lived in an older neighborhood-- that did not have kids. So my son did not have much exposure to kids his age. He really liked 'school' (that is what we called it), he had fun, learned alot, and got to be around other kids. When my 2nd son turned 2 I enrolled him in the same daycare/preschool.
    I enjoyed having a bit of 'me' time too.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• 3 hours for 2 days sounds like a great idea for both of you. you're mommy and you know what feels right for your own baby, and if that's something that you feel is important then go for it.

be prepared however, that children tend to have separation anxiety over something so new like that. you might want to spend a few sessions observing or dropping by to help her ease into the environment. good luck!
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 3:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• No, you are not a bad mom, I think its a great idea, its only a few hours a week, no big deal. It will be good for her and good for you. My kids are 4 & 2 and go 2 full days a week. They LOVE it. My daughter (4) goes on field trips each week, she's made friends, goes to everyone's birthday parties, etc. They both do fabulous crafts I would never think of to do with them, its really been a great experience for us.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• bad mom? no way! if i could afford it, i'd do it! lol. it would be great for her to get some interaction, and great for you to get some "me time". word of advice though, if you go through with it, and she cries, the best thing to do is just to leave the room. if she knows you're there she'll just keep crying, if she thinks you're gone then she may stop and interact easier and faster. you don't have to leave the building, just the room, and if there is a window, or some have camera's with the monitor in the office, you can watch her from there. i used to be a preschool teacher and we had alot of kids that would cry till mommy left, then be fine all day, and as soon as mommy was in view, they'd start crying like they'd been crying all day. little buggers lol
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• That sounds great, plus all the stuff you can get done in 3 hours trust me it will fly by, you'll look at the clock and say "oh gotta go" and she'll have so much fun being with other children. We took our kids to my moms the other day and there was this little girl the same age as my daughter and they said she's never around other children and she ran up to my daughter and hugged her, they played so much and didn't want to leave when it was time. It's great for both of you!
    Anonymous

• It sounds fine. You are thinking of her and planning ahead. Good job!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I think it's a great idea. My daughter is in the same boat. My friends here don't have kids her age or noone I talk with in the neighborhood does either. She's going into a 3 day 2 1/2 hour program in September.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I think it's great :-) Enjoy your 'me' time, and seeing how much fun your daughter will have (the first couple weeks might be hard, especially if she's NEVER been away from you with family or anything)
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I think it is a great idea.
    Anonymous

• Of course your not a bad mother! I totally understand where you are coming from. I however would never put my child in the hands of a complete stranger, so much can happen and I would never risk it! If I were you I would take your child to a gymboree class or something with kids that you can sit and watch.
    Kayla42388

Answer by Kayla42388 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2009