Stay up all night, sleep all day?? Help

I know I have seen this before but this is driving me nuts. My son stays up late and wants to sleep all day. I try to get him up and he just goes back to sleep. I can not man handle him to make him get up. He has been at his dads this week and no one is there to make sure he gets up and does something. He is coming home tonight and told me last night that I was going to be mad at him because his sleep is all messed up. I dont know what to do to get him back on track. I am so worried about when school starts him not getting up. Help any ideas?

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 3:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I remember reading that teenagers are programmed exactly this way. I know what worked in my circle of friends...CONSEQUENCES. Be it detention for tardiness or a lost job...consequences work.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• why can't he just sleep all day and stay up all night. I did it as a teen. My son did it as a teen. My youngest dd does it now and she is an adult. Some of us have circadian rhythms that are off and some just like it. I hate the heat so I sleep during the heat of the day and stay up at night. Since school is out I don't see a problem with him doing this.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• The problem is that he does not get up to do his chores, and I am worried that when school starts back up that he will be so out of sync that he wont be able to get up at 6:30. Should I just let him sleep and suffer when school starts?
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 5:32 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My kids can stay up as late as they want, but they have to be up by 11...period. They must complete thier chores and participate in the family. I am not a boarding house if that is what they want then they need to find thier own room and board elsewhere. I have resorted to squirting them with a squirt bottle...which I have to add was funny. I did warn them that if I have to try to wake them more then 3 times then that is what would happen, so it wasn't like it was a comlete surprise. If I have to get up and pick up after them then they have to get up and do thier part also. I have a sign that says "The maid was fired...do your part" and that is what I expect.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 6:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Oh as far as school...they still manage to get themselves back on track. It takes about a week but they get there.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 6:01 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• During the summer I allow mine to sleep in until 10:30 or so, but school time that changes due to school scheduling. When school starts, I do what I call "The Cop Knock" on his door, which rarely fails to wake him...but when it does fail, I send in the dogs to lick him to death until he gives and gets up himself. Those doggies are relentless....hehehehe.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 7:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• When I was a teenager during the summer I did that. My mama liked it because she worked and she said as long as I was home asleep I wasn't getting into trouble. Most every teenager I have ever known does this. Just remind him that school will be starting soon and he will HAVE to get up, and if he is tired he will just have to get over it. But I say let him sleep these are the only years he will get to do it.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 9:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• okay well im not a mom im actaully 17 and i am a female..i saw this question and had to answer it. well i do this every summer it drives my parents nuts to ill stay up till like 6-7AM and then sleep in til 3-4PM i do this every day and when school starts up i only suffer the first day or two tops. i mean i had to get up a few days ago at 8:00AM and i did it and that night i was so tired i went to bed and 10:00PM and i was fine the next day. my body just got used to it and did what it had to do.
    I hope this helps!
    jhutch8267

Answer by jhutch8267 at 1:22 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• This is just something that teens do. I know that I did.

Everyday, write down his list of chores so he can do them on his own time, as opposed to waking him up so he can do them on your time.

I like the previously mentioned rule of going to bed whenever they want, but being up by 11h00. I think that's fair.

As for school--um, it's summertime, school won't be starting for awhile. Once it does, it only takes a few days to adjust.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 4:14 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I totally agree with luckysevenwow. I have 4 teens and they stay up allnight and want to sleep all day. I wake them up around 10:30 0or 11:00. Chores are to be done everyday in my house and I do have it posted for them to look at everyday. I
    awesome4

Answer by awesome4 at 5:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2009