What do you think about American companies outsourcing their call centers for technical help, billing, and other assistance to foreign countries? If you ladies have experienced this, do you feel its less productive because of the accent barrier or do you feel they do a good job and its worth it. Just thoughts

I watched a documentary about a year ago that travelled to India and looked at the lives of the people there and their desire to work at "the call center". I think it was one of the 30 days docs in which the guy spent 30 days living another persons life. It was on A&E for awhile. Anyway, the indian people there work very hard in the call centers and work crazy hours and are there all the time because of the time zones around the world. They dont get paid much and its hectic, but they didnt seem to be complaining. The debate was that these American companies were outsourcing work to other countries for less than what they would pay americans. Should american companies try to find americans for their work or should they do whats cheapest for them? Im all for capitalism for sure, but I was wondering how productive it is. I just spoke to two reps from Dell that had THICK indian accents. NICE people and handled it very well,

momofsaee

Asked by momofsaee at 3:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It really ticks me off. I'm so sick and tired of calling somewhere and first getting the automated crap press 1, press 2, press 3 and then get some dim-wit who can hardly speak english, let alone understand what you are trying to say. I see the issue with outsourcing the jobs to foreign countries like India, they can pay them cheap and work them longer hours. But is that really fair? We here in the U.S. gauge a job by it's pay and benefits. Even our minimum wage is higher than what these foreigners are getting paid--so I say U.S. corporations are taking advantage of these people, but they are happy to have the jobs. This is the real problem with our current job situation, jobs that should be here, at decent wages, are being taken elsewhere. Corporations don't have to deal with employment regulations, and deductions or workers compensation payments.
    Anonymous

• I've had good and bad experiences with it. I've had some that had very thick accents, but they were very helpful, and understood when I said I was having difficulty understanding them and slowed down and tried to speak more clearly for me. Then, I've also had ones that talked too fast, couldn't understand them, and they were rude or just kept going when I said I couldn't understand them. I personally think the jobs should stay here, but I'm selfish like that. I think we should have the jobs.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I can deal with an accent. Too many times I've had to deal with people who had no clue what they were doing. They have a set script to read and no frame of reference if you have an issue that doesn't stick to their script. I went round and round on hold for an hour with the cable company insisting it was a billing issue. Finally I got transferred to a tech guy in Chicago who apologized profusely and told me it was because the converter we had was outdated and they couldn't reboot it anymore. There was no provision for that in the script in India.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I think they work very hard but don't get paid very much, if we had the call centers out here they would pay them a lot because it has to be 24/7 and that cost money money money! Over there it's cheap for their companies to be on call 24/7 and the people can work longer than 8 hours a day they can work up to 15 hours a day every day and get only 1 day off. Anyways I hate the language barrier, because sometimes they don't understand me, or they ask a question and I make them repeat it like 5 times because I can't understand. They need to figure something out!!
    Anonymous

• tropical mom, Im with you about people being rude. The indians arent usually rude, but more americans are. Usually, people really do want your business and work hard to keep it. The guy I spoke to was VERY helpful and kept aplogizing for the issue. I HATE when CSR's read off the script. The people at dish network do that. I told them one time to stop reading and just talk to me like a human. The looked back at the screen and started reading a scripted response....It was so funny.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I HATE IT.

It is the main reason why I got rid of my Dell computer (aside from them being pieces of crap) in favor of a Mac. You talk to an American who understands you! It's a GLORIOUS thing!
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 3:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Whoa. JW must have PMS. I should have said -

You talk to a person who UNDERSTANDS you..I don't care id they are American really...I speak two languages at least one of them should be an effective communication tool with customer service!
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 3:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I cannot stand the out-sourcing to India or where ever. After sitting on hold forever, and then being transferred to some one whom understood the english language better then their 'employee", I got an AMERICAN whom understood what I was asking.

I said, " Listen, if your company is going to give jobs to people with accents, spend the money for an accent coach and a few english lessons. It's frustrating enough to have to sit on hold forever, but to then explain over and over and over it's ridiculous. In today's economy, if more people feel like I do, then you and your people will be out of a job."

He said," I apologize, but our employees do understand and speak english." Well, I don't know many "Gary's" with an accent that sounds like either Spanish or Indian. The "I'll be for more then glad to help you--- was the tip off." Give them lessons, or a dictionary. Or I'll be for sending one"!

That's my take on it.
    Anonymous

• JW...I really do agree. American or not, they should be able to actually HELP and not make it worse. What didnt you like about your Dell? Just wondering because I might take your experiences into consideration. My dh gets a discount on dell computers. What did you buy instead of dell? Im always up for a consumerism chat.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• anon 3:43...excellent points. In our current crisis, I wonder if these types of situations make our economic issues worse. Why are other countries willing to work for so cheap? Are americans not desperate enough or is it just a mindset? I wonder things like this a lot.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:46 PM on Jul. 6, 2009