Do your kids swear? Did they learn it from you?

I was driving to the July 4th fireworks and there was limited parking,. Then some a-hole steals a spot I was going to take and I go , "Fuck you". Ofcourse my 3 year old repeat it with the same emotions. I ignored it thinking she will forget it

jennygirl123

Asked by jennygirl123 at 3:55 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• Absolutely not. If I cuss my kids know better than to repeat it. When they have said it not knowing what it was I tell them "Don't say that its only for grown ups." It works cause my children do not cuss
    Anonymous

• No, my kids don't swear. But when my nephew was about 2, he used to play super nintendo with my dad. He would get frustrated, jump up, throw down the conroller and say, "awwwe f*ck it"
    He was so funny and so cute. Of course my sister was mortified, lol
    Anonymous

• I don't swear especially over something as lame as a perceived right to a parking spot. My child does not curse either. I am a mature adult and don't speak in a trashy way. Kids tend to mimic mom and dad. Kids with potty mouths usually live with potty mouths.

Anonymous

• The first learning kids get is from the home,when they are that young,if,you are using foul words over a parking space, I'm quite sure you use dirty words in the home,now when kids get older I know they will pick up dirty words froms their friends,in my home ,we are church going people,I listen to gospel music only,but,my 15yrs old got caught using some words that I was ashamed to hear,now,I hate to blame somebody elses child,but,I know he didn't pick it up in my home.He said he forgot where he heard those words,I told him ,if he ever use words like that again,his mouth will be introduced to Mr. Soap. Please be careful of your words in the future.
    Anonymous

• we don't swear in front of the kids. there is the occasional slip up though. when our daughter 'tests' those words, we simply tell her that they are words for adults to use only, and they should never be said in front of kids. we then apologise for saying the word in front of her. she doesn't use the word again, and if we slip up she says 'don't say that in front of kids. that's bad!'
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 5:01 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Yes there are times when I cuss, especially when I'm driving and some idiot cuts me off (I have terrible road rage) but my younger kids don't cuss at all, they know if they do they will get into trouble. I have caught my 16yr old cussing a few times and have called him on it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• (rolling eyes) I don't get why this is an issue. Sorry, yes, I swear in front of my kids, no my kids do not swear, because its not polite in society. Just like I understood when I was a kid. However, the idea that certain words are "taboo" to me is just insane. I mean, whoever decided that certain words were "bad"? Aside from the F word which is sexual and not suitable for kids, and that it's actually initals for a phrase. Same way with "poo", If you take the word for poo and realize that what it actually stands for historically is Ship High In Transit! I wouldn't care if my child used the phrase, so why is the word wrong? It refers to manure which needed to be shipped on top of the other boxes or the smell would permeate the boxes above it. Thus, those initials were stamped on the shipping crates just like fragile would be. Yes, that is just awful to say, truly trashy. Honestly, the idea behind taboo words is silly.
    Anonymous