Has anyone ever had a Bartholin's Gland cyst removed?

I have had recurring Bartholin's Glands Cysts for years, usually when I get them they just lance it and put a ward catheter in it, however they have decided to remove the latest one in attempts to keep it from coming back. I was just wondering if anyone has every had this done and what I can expect?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Health

• People often think that marsupialization is removing them, but this is not the case. Marsupialization is just where they stitch the gland open to provide a "permanente" fix like the ward catheter is meant to do. Removal of the gland is called excisement. You may know all that already, but I figured I'd clarify just to be sure. I am looking into excisement also, atm. I've done some research and been warned by several drs against it b/c there is a risk of lots of blood loss. There are several branches of a major artery that surround the gland that can be cut during removal. I believe this is the biggest risk. Recovery from what I've read is painful and takes about 4 weeks.  I have been dealing with them for years as well and could use some support from someone who actually knows what I'm going through.  If you'd like someone to talk to about this (or have had it done already) please feel free to contact me.

MommyMilo

Answer by MommyMilo at 9:35 PM on Aug. 26, 2009