should I have it or not?

DO you HAVE to have a birthplan? What is it for?
First time mom,and I have never heard of that until the question "what did you include in your birth plan" then I googled birth plan. Not sure why I need it though

Lovin_mybaby5

Asked by Lovin_mybaby5 at 4:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I didn't really have one. I just went to the hospital (during labor) and said YES I want an epidural, and Please if you need to PLEASE give me an episiotomy! I saw my sister tear and its not something I wanted to try. lol. And I had a GREAT birth! Good Luck!

LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 4:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I've always read about that too, but I never had the dr ask me about it at all (I've had 3 kids). But, its nice to know what you want and if you get it that way great, but I wouldn't "plan" on it, lol.
    Hecate9

Answer by Hecate9 at 4:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• We are on our 4th baby now and my last 3 I never used a birth plan, just had it in the back of my head what I wanted, more than anything I just went with the flow. With my first I didnt use an epidural, but my last two I would have died without it LOL I plan on getting one with this one too, if thats the way things go. You can have a birthplan but it wont always go the way you plan it to! Congrats and Good Luck! :)
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 4:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Your doctor will ask you about certain things. Do you want the epidural, if you want to nurse, are binkies okay, ect. If your doc doesn't ask about something that you feel is important than you can always bring it up. All of your answers will be marked in your chart. Birth plans are really for those who are doing specialized births. But it may also make you feel better about everything to right down what you want before the big event.
    Good Luck to ya!
    PS I've had 3 and no BP with any of them.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 4:47 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• http://www.womenshealthcaretopics.com/pregnancy/pregnancy_77.html
    Anonymous

• I had three births and no plan. I am a go with the flow kind of person. I was really upset about my third because it was c-section but they would not deliver a breech twin
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 5:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• its mainly so that you'll go in there and not change your mind in the heat of the moment or get pressured into things. like if you wanted to wait till you were say 6 cms befor you got an epidural or something, you would just put that in your birthplan so that people arent asking you every two minuits do you want an epidural? its not set in stone or anything, you can always change your mind, its just so that peopel have a general idea about how you want things to go. and you might forget some things that you think are important now. like if you want the lights dimmed or certain music playing or just what ev. good luck to you!
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 5:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2009