Where to being on my kids on schooling to prepare for when school does open???

Ok my kids barely made it to the next grade and was required to go to summer school but I chose not to I wanted my kids to enjoy their summer vacation.
So I told the school no but I will be working with them at home on their weak spots
but never seem to find the time to do school work especially them being the type saying aaww mom....It is so discouraging for me when I hear them say that or act like they don't want to do this. How can I make it fun or exciting for them (us)....Thanks again Ladies...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well, remember, they got in this mess because they say "aawww mom" all year long. Stop listening to it. They played all year. Why should they get to play all summer too?

Make a daily schedule. School work first thing in the morning. If they get it done with no "aawww mom" nonsense, they get to play all afternoon and have a fun treat - an otter pop perhaps. If they get is done but put up a fuss, they get to play all afternoon but don't get a treat. If they don't get it done, they don't get to play after lunch until it is done.

Will it be fun and exciting? No. Neither is brushing your teeth or eating your veggies. But those need to be done to stay healthy. This needs to be done so they aren't the class dunce in the fall and so they learn discipline - a lifelong tool for success and happiness. Sorry.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• You just need to start cracking that whip. Wal-Mart has books they can work in on every subject. You need to make the time for your children so they can improve. They can work and still enjoy summer too. I went to summer school and it was only a few days a week with only a few hours a day. I think that would have been the best thing but you still have time to work with them. Good luck.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 4:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Use props.. make them do there math with there ceral.. spelling with soup.. turn on the close caption on your tv and make them read the cartoons aloud..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 4:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Oh - and next year, send them to summer school. You have taught them that their play is more important than school. Make sure they know you won't be making that mistake in the future. Their job is to go to school and learn. If they don't do their job when they are supposed to, they can do it in the summer or repeat the grade. At some point you will have to let them learn from their mistakes and suffer the consequences of their choices.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2009