Can I prompt my ds into nighttime underwear?

I am not a potty training pusher. Both kids trained within a day of when they said they would and both before they were 3.

However, my ds, who will be 5 in August, is still in pull-ups at night. I have never had an issue with it because he comes from a long line of bed-wetters. However, I have discovered that he will use the pull-up even before he falls asleep. It is easier than getting up to use the toilet. He has gotten lazy about peeing in the toilet during the day as well.

Is it ok to push him out of the pull-ups? I keep hoping he will decide on his own, but he seems ok with the easiness of the pull-up. Can I attach a stigma or a "big boy" label to a night in underwear without it causing stress?

I am not looking to get bashed about pushing him, I am just wondering if others have had to do this.

MommyId

Asked by MommyId at 4:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I know exactly the child you are talking about...MINE!...LOL. My son is 7 1/2 and still a bedwetter and like yours, he comes from a long line of them too. If we put the pull up on him too early, he will pee in it, because its easier. Boys have a tendency to be lazy about stuff that interrupts them. You could try meds, if you think it would help. My daughter didnt start those until she was about 8 though or you could try the alarms. I am like you in the fact that I am not a pusher. I have a 3 yr old thats not potty trained and basically has minimal interest. Im not concerned about it. I think that you can either not put it on him until right before hes in bed or you can have him TRY to go without it. I know that there are some kids who wont try as long as they are in pull ups. Mine is likely one of them. I know that if I let him take it off, he will wet. The laziness doesnt disappear, it just moves to another area of life..lol
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 4:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• He's 5, it's past time for pushing. If there is a problem, he should see a doctor. Limit his liquids in the evening after supper, and see if that helps.

Put a plastic cover over the mattress to protect it and let him go. If he gets wet a few times, he'll get it.
    Anonymous

• I'd switch to undies but double make the bed... waterproof pad, bottom sheet, waterproof pad, bottom sheet. Have spare PJs and blankets nearby. If he wakes in the night wet, it's easy to strip the wet layer off while he changes. If any of the top blankets are wet, strip them too and use the extra blankets you have handy.
    Try that for a few weeks. If he doesn't improve, consider a bedwetting alarm. He's old enough now for it to work and they have a high success rate.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Is he in pull-ups during the day also? If he is then get rid of them quick. They really slow down toilet training progress. He doesn't have too stop playing or get up from bed because he knows that he has them on and they will pull the wetness away from him.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 7:39 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Eventually, your son will have his own reasons for stepping out of that phase. Maybe he's enjoying being 'young'... it will lose its shine on its own as he strives toward growing up. You can't hurry it without adding problems... I think your laid back approach is just right!
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:36 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My son just turned 6 and got out of the nite time diapers on his own. We started with a reward chart, a quarter for each morning he woke up dry in his diaper. After two weeks of being dry consistantly he wanted out of them all together and has never had a problem.

We stop fluids at 8, and he goes to bed by 9:30. That helped a lot. We also make him go potty right before bed and right when he gets up in the am.
    cateachinmama

Answer by cateachinmama at 3:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Do it this way. I told my son at that age, I can't afford to buy toys AND pullups, if you really need them fine I will stop buying something else, but if you DON'T and you can make yourself get up too pee, maybe we can use some of that money for a different thing. (A new movie....something..)
    Anonymous