Christians that feel the need to teach their children their religion from an early age

what are some of the reasons you do not wait until they are older and able to understand their choice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:46 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Do you wait until your child is hit by a speeding car before teaching them to stop, wait, & look before stepping off the curb? Do you wait for your child to get burned before you teach them that fire is harmful if not respected? Why wait until spiritual damage is done before teaching our children that they need to be discerning between good and evil spiritual reports?

Anonymous

• For me, because God tells us we are to teach our children from birth. I firmly believe the roots they were given when they were young,along with the change they saw in their dad and I after we were saved are the very reasons they are now all 3 Christians. They were brought up in church,and when it came time for them to make their minds up, they all 3 chose to accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior. No pressures, no force-feeding,just living it.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 4:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Its because a lot of parents are selfish and dont want their kid to think "differently" my DH was forced to go to church as a child, though he didnt want to. Now he refuses to step foot in a church.
    Anonymous

• are you a christian that teaches your child about your religion anon?

if so you know that we make personal choices and if you believe in the Love of the Lord nobody can take that from you. I think it is time your hubby grows up and takes responsibility for HIS actions. If he won't step foot in a church it is because HE made the choice. I bet he was forced to wear shoes to school as well, does he refuse to step foot in a shoe?
    Anonymous

• I grew up in a house where we never went to Church, and I always felt like I was missing something. I started going every so often when I was in 5th grade and beyond with my grandmother and it felt right to me and I chose to be Baptized. When I became an adult I converted and I finally feel like I found a Church and beliefs that really "fit" me. My children will be raised in our Church and they have been baptized. I don't want them to miss out on the things I did when I was growing up but we won't "push" our religion on them. We are Catholic and they, if they choose to, will go through the Sacrament of Confirmation which is basically them choosing to be Catholic and choosing to accept the Holy Spirit into their lives. If they decide at some point it doesn't feel right to them, then so be it, it is their choice but we are making sure the foundation is there for them if they need it.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 5:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• For us we can't seperate our faith from the rest of our life. We don't "turn it off" when we get home from church. We live out a relationship with Christ daily. Christ is the head of our home and we are totally sold out to Him.

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD [is] one! You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up." Deut. 6:4-7

"But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15

cont.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Our entire home is dedicated to the Lord, we obey God by teaching our children. So that they will be grounded in the faith. When they grow up, they may decide for themselves what they will do with it, but at least they will know exactly what they are doing.

I also teach them the Bible because I believe that the Word of God is the best guide for our lives and because it has the power to transform our hearts. Timothy was a young man who was used by God in amazing ways, and the reason was because his mother and grandmother taught him the scriptures from birth.

Paul says to Timothy, "from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus." 2 Tim. 3:15

I want my kids to be saturated in our faith, because I WANT them to believe in Jesus. It isn't for my sake, but for theirs.

I wish I had been raised in the faith.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:15 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I completely agree with whittear. I cannot imagine never mentioning to my young children anything about God providing for us, or the divine gifts from Nature, or where Grandma went when she died, ... or confining Christmas to Frosty the Snowman & presents & Rudolph, and depriving my children of the magical Advent and Christmas imagery, with the angels speaking to Mary & Joseph and the Shepherds and the Three Kings, and the Christmas carols, and candlelight, etc. Or the festivals of Candlemas, St. Valentine's, St. Patrick's, Palm Sunday & Holy Week, (gloss over the crucifixion until they're 12) Easter ... WhitSunday, St. John's tide, Michaelmas.
    Children learn how to view the world EVERY DAY. This cannot be postponed any more than their learning language could be postponed until they are old enough to choose their preferred language. If you model anti-religion, then that is what they will learn. And they WON'T have a choice.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• 1) I can't just leave my kid at home every time I go to church.

2) I think it would be rude to totally exclude my child from something that's such an important part of me. "Hey daddy and I are going to have night-time prayer, but you can't join."

3) I think it's a parents responsibility to teach their children what they believe to be right (and I fully support that statement even when it's faiths different from mine).

4) I don't believe early-age religion is some form of inescapable brain-washing. Lots of people grow up and are fully capable of choosing a different religion from what they were raised in. So I don't think I'm taking away my child's religious freedom when she is old enough to choose.
    Anonymous

• That's a good point too. We pray before meals and at bedtime, we read our bible daily, the Cross is displayed in various places throughout our house...our religion is present and evident in just about every area of our lives, in everything we do. It would be kind of hard to not include them in it or to ignore their questions when they start to become aware of these things.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 6:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2009