Getting your child baptized

My friend has two children and has chosen not to baptize them because she wants them to be able to choose their own religion. But my thought on this is that if you dont bring your children up learning a religion then they will not know about God or any religion. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• we attend church but we arent baptising our son either. we are waiting until he is old enough to choose to do it or not. doesnt mean we arent teaching him about God-we just feel it should be his choice...
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 5:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• It's true that your kid isn't going to know whether or not they want to follow your religion if you never teach them a single thing about it. Not to mention, I think it's kind of rude to totally exclude them from that important part of you.

But teaching about religion isn't necessarily synonymous with baptism. In my faith we don't baptize someone until their at least 8 because that's what we believe the age of accountability is. But that doesn't mean we exclude little children from worship services, they're there with us, and have their own little sunday school....and by the the time they're 8, they at least have a firm grasp on basic gospel principles and can make an educated decision about being baptized.
    Anonymous

• You don't have to baptize or go to church to teach a child about God.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Langston Hughes wrote about this. Where the boy finally went up to the pastor because he was old enough to understand that is what everyone wanted him to do. His grandmother was crying, church members were praying and the kids just wanted to get out of the church. You really think a kid isn't going to make his mommy proud and say I want to be saved? I baptised my kids and they are allowed to not be Catholic once they move out of my house. If that makes intolerant or shoving my beliefs down their throats than so be it--that is what it is.

When I got married we promised God and ourselves that any and all children will be raised in the Catholic Church. IMO, breaking my promise to God is far worse than baptising a baby.
    Anonymous

• I disagree.

I was raised in a non-religious household & was free to explore & discover religion on my own. I'm VERY grateful for that.

I'm raising my kids the same way.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 5:47 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• i think it's strange that people are leaving the options open to other churches but i have to figure unlike me they have not found the church they truly love and believe in. i will certainly baptize my kids in my church as it is my responsibility to teach them the gospel and see that this church is all the church they need. i would never want them to stray from this church and would never give them the option to pick another cause i believe that my church is the true church. i would somewhat agree with you aside from the fact they children can learn about god but i think they will be confused about religion when parents don't guide them in one direction. i think that is why there are so many who go their entire lives or most of their lives looking for the church that best fits them, i would not want my kids to me one of the wondering souls lost searching to find a void to fill their life. we have no void in this church.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I highly disagree. A child can be raised completely without religion and turn out to love god or be raised within a very religious family and hate god or not believe in him at all... I will not teach any religion to my children, when they are old enough and start to have questions, THEN and only then, will I do my best to give them the means to find their own answers and their own path... I believe that religion is a very deep and mature thing, and children do not need the burden and worry that tends to come with it. Just let them live and be happy. They only get to be a child once in a lifetime, let them enjoy it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I was raised in a religion where one decides to be baptized when they feel they are ready. I am in a different church, but it has the same views on baptism, so this isn't an issue for my children.

My younger sister has a son from her first marriage and he was baptized as an infant. I went to the baptism and supported her decision.

I think each family has to make their own decisions on this issue. If your church baptizes infants and that is important to you then go ahead. If your church supports people deciding to be baptized later on, then go that route. It's up to each individual family and what their beliefs are.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 8:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Well, I'm a Christian and my denomination is Baptist. We don't believe in Baptizing babies, but rather wait until that child is old enough to understand the true meaning of Salvation. It's a personal thing and it's up to each person to make his/her own choice when they accept Jesus as their Savior. Baptism follows being Saved.
    I don't know what denomination you are, but I do believe that children should be raised in the church. And, I also believe that God wants us all to come to Him on our own free will. However, I agree that if you never take your child to church or study the Bible with him/her, he won't grow up knowing what YOU believe in. I disagree with the comment that religion is an added burden to a child. Actually, I believe once God has touched a child's life (or anyone's for that matter), so many burdens are lifted from you. God takes over then, and we can cast all our cares to Him....
    God Bless
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Sabrina, I am shocked and saddened by your comment. God loves all his children and you are saying the love and peace of God is nothing but a burdened? I was in girl scouts with my church, did camping trips, had carnivals the words. How is that a burden?
    Anonymous