He's weaning. I'm hurting. How to deal with weaning baby??

My baby will be 12 months old in 10 days. I am not ready to stop breastfeeding and had planned on nursing him until he's at least 2. HOWEVER, he has different plans. When I try to nurse him, he doesn't want to!! I certainly do not make him. I just offer and get him into position. He has just lost interest. I'm really surprised but understand he's growing and just has more "important" things to do these days. Lol. My breasts are full and hurting though. Do I just let them hurt a few days and let my supply diminish? I'm hoping he'll continue to at least nurse at night for the next year or so . . . Would appreciate advice from anyone to allowed baby to self wean. . . And I do plan to continue to offer breastfeeding as he wants. . .

Senae

Asked by Senae at 5:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• from what it sounds like is a nursing strike. self weaning is supposed to be gradually..from what i have read on kellymom.com My son went through it around 10 months. it took him about a week or so to regain interest. it usually happens when they discover a new skill and just want to practice it. pump to help the pain and do what you are doing, and just keep offering it to him. i know how frustrating it can be.
    8firsttimemom8

Answer by 8firsttimemom8 at 5:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Pump if you want. And don't be at all surprised if he regains interest suddenly. What he's doing is quite normal.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• This is very, very normal. Pump to relieve some of the pressure and don't worry about his reluctancy. Many moms will find that baby reduces nursing sessions when they are focusing on developmental milestones.
    Anonymous

• An update: My baby fortunately was just going through a stage as you all had stated. I did pump once when I was especially *full*. He's back to nursing a few times a day again. He is definitely nursing less, and I started my period, but it's going better. ;)
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 11:12 PM on Jul. 21, 2009