Do you ever leave your oven or slow cooker on when you are outside the house?

If you are cooking something that takes a long time, say lasagna or a pot roast or something, and you will only be gone for 20 minutes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My slow cooker, yes, I leave it on all the time. My oven, I would have said yes if it was only for 20 minutes, but a couple of weeks ago, I was in the kitchen cooking on the stovetop, and the power cord in the back basically exploded. It didn't start a fire, but it freaked me out enough that I will never leave the house with my oven or stove on now.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• The oven.... maybe for 15 minutes, 20 max, if I am walking up to the mailbox. I don't think I would if I were driving someplace, because roads and cars and lines in stores are unpredictable and I wouldn't know for sure that I'd be back in time.

The crockpot yes I do leave it on when I am at work.

Answer by Bmat at 5:36 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Yes for my slow cooker and no for my oven. If something were to go wrong with my slow cooker like a electrical short, the safety plug would shut it off. If my oven were to screw up then nothing would stop it. My house would just catch on fire.
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 5:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I don't like to leave the oven on while I am gone, but had to once when I was missing one ingredient for dinner. I was gone for maybe 15 minutes.
    I always leave the crockpot on when I leave but make sure there is nothing around it, I even pull it as far as I can away from the wall.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 5:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Good suggestion, Annamcg! I should have thought to plug my crockpot in the protected outlet. *Hits head* sheesh- never thought of it. I shall from now on though.

Answer by Bmat at 6:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Not my oven, but my slow cooker all the time. I load it and go into town so dinner will be ready when I get back.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:57 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Yes for the slow cooker. If I was outside talking to someone or going to get the mail yes. If I left the property then no. To many things could happen while your gone.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 7:59 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• That's why I have a slow cooker. I turn it on and go to work, or run errands and then dinner is done!
    asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 8:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Yes all the time.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:18 PM on Jul. 6, 2009