Wanting to start the move from baby sleeping in the packnplay in our room to her own crib upstairs...need some advice/reassurance

My dd is 6 weeks old and I want to make sure to get her into her own crib before it gets too hard - i've heard you should do it early so that baby won't really know that difference... the real issue isn't her, though, it's me! I am so nervous about her being anywhere but right next to me. My biggest fear is that she will roll over and suffocate! I can't decide if I want to keep swaddling her because I'm scared if she were swaddled and rolled onto her belly somehow she wouldn't be able to roll back over and wouldn't be able to breathe (can you tell I'm a 1st time mom??). Can anyone talk some sense into me or give me some advice. I'm considering buying a video monitor but even that doesn't make me feel better...

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 5:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• seriously at this point your sense of security is very important for you sanity!!! i know exactly how you feel... just keep her in the pack n play, until she is a little older. moving a baby form one bed to another is not that hard, as long as you aren't moving her from sleeping with you to sleeping by herself that can be hard... maybe you should try just putting her in her room for naps for a while until you are more comfortable with it! this is harder on you than it is on her at this point.. it'll be fine... i stopped swaddling around 6 weeks... becasue of the same fear.. that is when my son rolled over for the first time,a dn i was worried he wouldn't be able to flip back over... :) good luck!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 5:48 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• You might start by putting her down in the crib for daytime naps and you can start getting comfotable with your baby monitor. I did that with my twins and moved them completely to their own cribs in the nursery around 3 to 3 1/2 months and had no problems with the transition. If you are on separate floors you might be more comfortable with a video monitor. Good luck!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I moved my daughter into her crib at 6 weeks and that was hard for me to, but I do not regret it. I found she made the transition without any problems and I just made (and still do) that when I go to bed at night that the baby monitor on my nightstand is turned on and up.... even though she is right across the hall from us and I have no problems hearing her.
    janineasmith

Answer by janineasmith at 5:47 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• They all move to their own rooms when THEY are ready. What you do makes little difference, really. It's not hard at all to transition them if you do it when the baby is ready. If baby's NOT ready then it's hard.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2009