what are the chances of having your second baby naturally when your first was a emergency c-section

My first pregnancy i had to have a emergency c-section..which seems a lot more common these days..but i just moved to slidell with my husband and daughter and my new gyno seems to be c-section crazy. All the girls in my family she made have one..im going to my first appt next tues. and i just wanted advice on what to do. I really want to have my second baby naturally. is that even possible in slidell?? because i know vbacs doctors are hard to find.

Cristade09

Asked by Cristade09 at 5:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i recommend you find a midwife. they are very supportive in natural births and VBAC's
    Anonymous

• It depends on the way your incision healed! You can have a baby naturally if you had a C-sec! I would talk with the doc about it and express your wishes but it really depends on the way your body healed! Good luck

SD777

Answer by SD777 at 5:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• It depends on the circumstances surrounding your first emergency C-section, and the type of incision you had.

Vertical incisions aren't all that common anymore..in fact, they're pretty rare. But if you have a vertical incision, its not likely you're going to be a candidate for a VBAC, because you have a high risk of uterine rupture. A horizontal incision is your best bet.

If you had an emergency C-section because of something like failure to progress, your baby being showing signs of distress, either one of you showing signs of infection, or something like that, you probably could try for a VBAC. If it was something like the baby was breech, you would have to wait and see.

Find an OB that will support you in your decision to try for a VBAC if the situation allows for it. Not ALL OB's are against VBAC's...mine was very supportive.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 6:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My doctor was very supporitve of a VBAC for my second child. My family did not think it was a good idea. I wanted to recover quicker since I already had a toddler at home so I chose to try a VBAC. Labor went smoothly and progressed quickly. While I was pushing the baby went into distress. They had to rush me into the operating room. My son was born blue and floppy with an APGAR of 1. They were able to revive him and he is now 17 years old. Still, I can't help but wonder what damage was caused by my decision to try for a VBAC and the time he lost oxygen in the womb. He struggles in school, unlike his older sibling. My first child was born by C-section because of her position in the womb. It was not an emergency like my second. Recovering from labor and a c-section is much harder.
    Joyfulone790

Answer by Joyfulone790 at 6:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Im in the same situation. However, Im not sure yet if I want to have a planned c-section or VBAC but my dr says that its easier to go through planned because its harder to recover if I have another emergency one. It also depends on the area and the dr.
    mrsmilander

Answer by mrsmilander at 5:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2009