ticks

Im going to call the doctor in the morning but my 10 month old had a tick on him and im very worried. It wasnt a big tick either it was a very very small tick if i just happened to see it by chance. It had already bitten him and we pulled it off and its head wasnt in him but there is not a red bumb where he was bitten. we kept the tick and its still alive. What do you think the chances are of it caring lyme diease and that its passed on to my little one!

serenaxxmarie

Asked by serenaxxmarie at 5:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• depends where you live some places have higher chance of lyme than others
    Anonymous

• I understand that they have to be embedded for 24 hours to transmit lyme disease. Put the tick in a tightly closed jar and wash your hands and the site of the bite with disinfectant soap. I think that I would call the doctor tomorrow and ask the nurse.

Answer by Bmat at 5:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• If there is no red bump, swelling or redness around the area bitten, and there is no "bulls eye" type of marking, your little one is likely fine.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• yup what she said and from what i have read, ticks that carry lyme disease are VERY tiny ( like a pinhead) and black
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 5:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• victinag its no bigger then a pin head and thats why i am so nervous! I washed it out and eveything and there is a big bumb where we pulled it out
    serenaxxmarie

Answer by serenaxxmarie at 5:55 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• "Once the tick hops on to you it has to bite and hold on to you for at least 24 - 48 hours before it can transmit the infection."
    http://dr-razavi.blogspot.com/2006/04/tick-bite-and-lyme-disease-prevention.html
    This site seems very good. I also read that it takes 3 days or more before a rash would show up. and also, not to alarm you, that the rash does not always appear in cases of the disease. I still go with my recommendation to talk to the nurse and ask. Are you sure you got the whole head?

Answer by Bmat at 6:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• do you still have the tick? you should take it with you to the doctor. then they can make sure it was a deer tick..... also if it does carry lyme disease, you'll generally get a red circle around the bite.
    take him to the doc, and he'll be fine..
    Anonymous

• My son just got tested for lyme disease. It does not have to be a bulls eye at the bite or a bump at the bite. He did not have the tick on him for 24 hours, I do not believe. It came off very easily. Two weeks after I got it off he got little bumps on his arms and legs and a high fever. I thought it was hand, foot and mouth since his cousins just had that. After about 4 days the bumps turned into blisters and about 3 days after that they all turned into bulls eye marks. I took him to the doctor and they said by looking at it, yes, it is lyme disease. They did a blood test, said it would come out neg, which it did (it is always neg, if you test early) so he is getting blood taken again and retested on the 17th. In the meantime he is on amoxacillon for three weeks which is to take care of it when it is caught so early. Watch for any bumps or rash.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 6:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I also wanted to add, someone mentioned that you don't always get a rash, which is true, it is different for everyone. I called right after I pulled the tick off and they said they normally wouldn't do a blood test until a rash showed up unless I wanted one. If I were you, I would wait like three or four weeks and if I rash doesn't show up I would ask for the blood test anyway to be safe.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 6:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• It has to be attached for 24-48 hours to transmit disease. Symptoms include a bulls eye like rash around the bite, fatigue and pain. check out this site

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2009