Codex Gigas. Have you ever heard of this mysterious book?

http://www.socyberty.com/History/Mysterious-Book-Codex-Gigas.852567

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 6:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• yes i have. they can not be for sure the true origins of it...the myth is that a monk wrote it in one night with the leadersihp of satan to escape being killed the next day fo rhis sins.....

it has 2 versions of the bible in it.......dark masses and regular masses. when they examined the handwriting, it appeared that it was perfect in that he never went crooked etc. and its the same ink and the same handwriting which shows it is written by one man....but whether or not he did it in one night with satans guidance...who relly konws? i think its possible though.

but the necronomicron (sp)is also said to be written by a man who had a demon whispering in his ear
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 9:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• No one? I found this very interesting...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• It's just an old compilation of the Bible. It's one person's opinion on what belongs canonized together. As far as I know, there's nothing in this particular compilation (i.e. Sheperd of Hermas) that I haven't been able to get my hands on elsewhere and read. Both Protestant and Catholic canons agree that books like Shepherd of Hermas are not inspired of God and therefore should not be bound into the holy Canon of Scripture (i.e. Bible). The fact that the ancient compilers of this Bible thought books like that did belong in a canon with the others doesn't make anyone more "right" or "wrong", it's just an different opinion.

I'm interested to see it and what they've chosen to include (for example, our current Bible is "missing" the last part of Acts, maybe this canon chose to include it? Maybe it includes book of Jubilees?) and what parts of texts it feels are appropriate (accepting a wording instead of footnoting ect.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I think it is a very interesting legend--a monk asks the devil to help him write the biggest book ever in one day. This book includes almost the whole Bible, but it was written in 1200 BC. So the writer would have penned it 1500 years before the originals were even written and way before they would have been translated. That would be insane!

I think it is a fun story but I don't believe in all that. The National Library of Sweden, where it is located, say that it was written 1045-1125 AD and most everyone else agrees on that time or even later. It seems like a cool book (I love old books) and it also has the works of Josephus which is pretty cool.

About the picture, I think it is funny looking, LOL. And I personally don't really see how it has anything to do with the twin towers. Not knocking anybody that does, but you could find the twin towers on a pancakes if you want to see them there.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• i've heard of it, the "devils bible" right...fascinating stuff...i love history of the occult
    duesept29

Answer by duesept29 at 9:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• i don't know if i necessarily buy into it fortelling the future of any of that, but it has a very interesting history...
    duesept29

Answer by duesept29 at 9:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• NOPE
    germanmamaof2

Answer by germanmamaof2 at 10:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2009