I need help with potty training an almost 3 yr old boy. Sometimes he goes in the potty, sometimes not....

We've been potty training for months it seems. He's doing well at his preschool, but at home, forget it! He sometimes goes on the potty with no problem. Other times, he completely throws a fit about it. I don't get it. Need help!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter was the same way. She is almost 3 and is potty trained now. Whenever she would use the potty we would make a big to do about it and clap and say what a good girl she was and what a big girl. Now she uses the potty and tells us how "she did it." She is proud of herself for using it. Hope this helps. Make him feel good about it and like he made a major accomplishment.
    StevensWife

Answer by StevensWife at 6:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I potty trained by daughter when she was 2 using the "3-day Potty Training" method. Google it- it REALLY works. I have numerous friends who used it too and within three days their kids were potty trained too.
    chloesmomrocks

Answer by chloesmomrocks at 7:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• my friend has a 3yr old that still wont potty on the potty. and my sister has been through the potty thing with a boy and a girl and she says boys are a lot harder and take a lot longer to potty train. be persistant and try not to get angry or punish him when it gets agravating because it makes them go backwards instead of forwards and then they will start hidding accidents (like hide pee-or poopy underwear so you dont know about it. good luck! and let me know what works because i am pregnant with my first boy so i will be needing good tips before long :)
    lilysmommy23

Answer by lilysmommy23 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• We tried the 3 day method. nope didn't work. We tried EVERYTHING it seemed like, and it just didn't work! We were becoming frustrated and starting to think that he was going to be in second grade wearing diapers, lol. My son's g/f came over (she's an early ed major) and suggested stickers. One for pee and two for poop. We came up with a simple chart and he got to pick out the stickers and put them on the chart. He was thrilled and has been going on the potty every time since. Son's g/f said that the kids need "concrete awards", not just a big "yay" and clapping. And presents every time gets expensive, so the stickers were awesome for us!
    eternallymom

Answer by eternallymom at 9:07 AM on Jul. 7, 2009