Would any intelligent person ever run for president?

Think of what happens to any presidential candidate - intrusive, sometimes illegal invasions of privacy for not only you, but your spouse, children, parents, cousins, neighbors and anyone you've ever been associated with. Millions and millions of dollars invested that very likely will amount to nothing. If you actually win, you will take the role of figurehead with very little control aside from signing things. You cannot control the content of bills, or the decisions of courts, but you will take the blame for both. You are required to work with people who willingly submitted to those same conditions to lead their own countries and treat them with respect.
Why would an intelligent person do this? Why would anyone except an extreme narcissist with no concern about any other person in their life besides their own fame and power ever even consider it? Wouldn't an intelligent person do more good elsewhere?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I have no answer for this question. I am wondering the same thing. I can't imagine why anyone would want the job, I just wish there were better candidates for it. I suppose the best reason I can come up with is for the retirement / health care plan. :o)

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:18 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• What intelligent means for you?
    Anonymous

• What intelligent means for you?

You mean besides the ability to form a complete and logical sentence, Tarzan?
    Anonymous

• Why would anyone except an extreme narcissist with no concern about any other person in their life besides their own fame and power ever even consider it? Wouldn't an intelligent person do more good elsewhere?

I do believe most politicians are narcissist, but also that many still believe they can do something positive

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I agree. I'd never want the job,for sure. And, I can't imagine anyone in their right minds actually thinking it'd be a good job. But, oh well, guess we've had proof of that for many,many,many years.
    Anonymous

• Why would anyone except an extreme narcissist with no concern about any other person in their life besides their own fame and power ever even consider it?

I don't know, guess the next time you see Obama, you can ask him yourself! Good question,though.
    Anonymous

• hmm...our last 3 presidents seem very narcissistic from the outside. but the job has become so much about good looks, good PR ppl, & what they're wearing...i bet its hard not to think its all about you.

i think being in an elite group of less than 50 that history will remember forever...has its pull to someone like them...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Only one that really wants to get ladies.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 9:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• No. I think you probably have to have a treatable mental disorder in this day and age to want to be potus.

Between the media sharks, bloggers, pundits and the wishy washy psyche of the American people, it's a lose-lose job.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• intelligence=politics????
    sounds like an oxymoron..
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 10:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2009