Too big for carrier, too young to sit up

My 4 1/2 month old has nearly outgrown his infant car seat/carrier. We are looking to buy a new car seat but I have no idea what to do when we go out shopping or out to eat. He can sit unassisted for a minute or two but then he topples over so I am scared to put him in a restaurant highchair or shopping cart. I have a front carrier for him but I'm a tiny person (5ft2) and carrying around such a big baby starts to get very painful after awhile.

Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Lindsay4JD

Asked by Lindsay4JD at 7:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Buy a convertable carseat for the car, it can face both ways, and for going out put him in a stroller, that is what we did with our son until he could sit up, just a small stroller something really light and easy to push.
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 7:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• bring a blanket with you at all times and wrap that around him in the carts also they make a device that they sell at babies R us thats for the carts and can be used in highchairs that holds him securely to the chair/seat and it comes in 2 pieces really easy to use that what i had used http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3331861 there is the link to what im explaining
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 7:15 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Woww. I started putting my daughter in carts and restaurant high chairs when she first started sitting up. I just put a blanket(a kind of thick one or so) around her so she didn't fall over or lose balance. I saw it as her learning how to keep balance to sit up in those kind of seats.
    Anonymous

• I had this problem, too. It was only for about a month, thank goodness! I bought a small travel pillow at Walmart to help prop my son in the shopping cart. I only needed one, but you could try two to wedge into the spaces on both sides.

timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Im getting a Moby Wrap for my 1yr old. Im 8 months pregnant and cant carry her around so my Grandma is getting me one. The Hip Hold looks like it would be really comfy for the both of us, or I could wear her on my back. Maybe try one?

Im 5'2, 8 months pregnant so other carriers wont work for me either.
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 7:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My son is 6 months old and he is too big for a infant car seat as well. We just bought him a convertable car seat and I bought a light stroller for restraunts and going out. Or if you can handle it you could get a backpack to carry baby in. Although it hurts my back to carry my son in one...I just bought a cheap one though at walmart. That might be why. Good luck
    Anonymous

• I got a front carrier... mine is by jeep... and I got him a convertable car seat... his holds up to 50lbs and can face either way. When we went to resturants I just brought his stroller with me...
    ncarter24

Answer by ncarter24 at 10:18 AM on Jul. 7, 2009