ADHD/Bipolar in children

We have had problems with my oldest daughter for about 3 years now. She coaches the younger kids on disobeying us and back talking. There were never problems before 3 years ago. I was doing research on ADHD vs. Bi Polar in kids. She seems to fit more of the "symptoms" of Bi Polar. One of the things that we first noticed with the behavioral issues was that she was talking about dead people alot. Specifically a little boy that she said was killed. She went into detail and it was kind of creepy. We didn't believe her, and this is when the other issues started. She is always amused with death and dying. They want to treat her for ADHD first, which I understand. Any ideas or suggestions what to do in the mean time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Get her in THERAPY. Medication will eat her brain, I speak from personal experience. Therapy first, 5 days a week if you have to. I HATE that doctors are so medication happy. Unless she is a danger to herself or others please don't medicate.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 8:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• It sounds like she is dealing with spirits if she is going into detail about this "little boy" you might want to look into information on indigo children b4 having her put on meds because meds can be very dangerous for children and its possible she is one of these special kids who often get diagnosed as being adhd or bipolar.
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 8:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• It was really weird when this started happening. We had waited until all of the kids were definately asleep. My fiancee and I went to our room and were watching "A Haunting". 2 Days late is when she started talking about this. She said that this little boy was killed by his mommy and no one ever found him. Then a few days later, she was in the bathroom and came out screaming, saying that something flew across the bathroom. We started really questioning this, any maybe she had overheard the show, but she was all the way across the house and we double checked that all 3 kids were asleep. Then a couple of weeks later, my fiancee and I were playing cards in the living room and we heard a huge THUD! We went into the kitchen and every single thing that was on top of the fridge had flown off and was in the middle of the floor...
    kmeyer0829

Answer by kmeyer0829 at 8:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• At this point we were FREAKED. We went home for vacation (1000 miles away) and we were staying at my dad's. My fiancee woke up to take the puppy out to pee, and he laid back down and looked over and saw my dad standing in the doorway just watching and hovering. We asked dad about that the next day and he said that he didn't ever come downstairs that night. He told us that a couple of weeks before my sister had a similar experience. She woke up at like 3 in the morning and saw dad fully dressed walking through the house. She laid back down and listened, she could still hear the footsteps, but she could also hear my dad snoring in the next room and shifting on the bed. I don't know why I decided to share all of this, just a nagging feeling that this is all connected to her and her "dead boy" problem. Could our family be haunted or is that possible?
    kmeyer0829

Answer by kmeyer0829 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• To me this might not be bipolar disorder. It sounds more as if she is having visual/auditory hallucinations. Medications do help, as long as they are being monitored by a psychiatrist. Good luck and get help now.
    Yve538

Answer by Yve538 at 10:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• First if more than just her is experiencing this they are NOT hallucinations!!! Dont think of a haunting as a bad thing usually when they start all of a sudden like that there is something going on in the family and someone is trying to get your attention (not the child). You might want to repost this in the group Supernatural Connections. I have had many experiences with this type of thing but you might like more info than i can give. As for the sighting of your dad when he was sleeping that may be astral projection. Its when your energy is able to come out of your body and move about. I do it to relax but many of my family members do it when they are worried about something, defiantly look into the alternatives to meds b4 you start her on them. And people who say "get help now" dont understand that there is a spirit realm that they may not be open to! Your family will be fine dont be afraid and message me if you want to.
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 10:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Also you might want to start a journal to document all the weird things that are happening because there may be a pattern to them that may help you figure out either who is there with you or why they are there.
    My sister in law has had to start this type of thing just to keep track of how many spirits are in her house none of them have been threatening and one of them we have always known who it is. My brother was murdered when he was 15 and since my niece was born he has been there with her. she is 2 and has never seen a picture of him and no one really speaks about him but she has lately been talking about her uncle jojo (joey) and how he will talk to her and play with her. Its actually comforting to know he is there with her.
    And if you arent having any threatening things happen just talk to the spirits as if they are people and let them know you know they are there and that they must leave if they intend your family harm
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Spirits? Indigo kids?

Oh geez.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Get her evaluated by a licensed professional counselor ASAP. From your description, she sounds like neither ADHD nor Bipolar. You first need the evaluation and then what the options for treatments are. A combination of medication and counseling is needed for many mental health disorders, especially something as serious as Bipolar. My friends daughter is Bipolar and if she wasn't medicated it would be horrible. She is out of control with the meds, she would be even worse without them. If medications are needed and they are closely monitored, there is nothing wrong with someone being on them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:11 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Ok on the journal part that is an awesome suggestion because any one you take her to will want to try and find a pattern in her behaviors. therapy is not a bad idea it may help her express some of the things she is coping with. my 10 year old was diagnosed with bipolar/ODD and ADD when he was 4 he is on meds for the bipolar and ODD and they help. physiological behavior in children is scary and sometimes therapy and routine make a huge difference sometimes more is needed for the health and safety of the child and those around. doctors can help please don't shut them out if they can't figure it out they can refer you to someone who can good luck! if you need to tlk pm me I am here

knepppi

Answer by knepppi at 12:42 AM on Jul. 17, 2009