Anyone ever buy a house or have a house that had termites?

My husband and I are looking a house that there is a possibility that it has termites. We would be buying it below appraisal price. How hard and expensive is it to get rid of termites? Any information would get greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Home & Garden

• depends on how much you love the house. if you dont absolutely love it keep looking or get an inspection for termites.( seller is responsible which leaves you open to fraud if they know someone willing to lie on the inpsection report) you could write the contract with a contingency that if termites are present and active you void the contract. but that wastes time if youre in a hurry to move.
    if you suspect termites, there are probably termites, find another home and get a good inspection.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:36 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Sometimes it can be cheap and other times it will leave a big hole in your pocket. I would if I were you see how bad it is and call around in the phone book to people who does this type of work. If it is really bad and/or it is under the house. I would not buy the house it might cost you more then hiring someone to come in and spray them babies out of there. Like tearing down walls and replacing the studs or repairing the foundation. One house my husband was working on had them bugs everywhere and ate everything insight. The owner who thought he got a steal because they lowered the price on the house due to termites. Found out later it was not a great deal after all and they had to tear it down for it was standing on almost hardly on anything but the concerte under the house. Check it out before you buy.
    Anonymous