Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i thought my insurance covered this?

i am pregnant and have IEHP and MEDICAL (live in CA) and i went to the ER when i was 6 weeks prego for bleeding (all is good now) but i thought i was covered for all the test they did and what not but i just got a bill from them, i will have to pay it i guess but i am trying to help out paying for my wedding and i am a SAHM so its a little difficult to pull money out of my ass. does anybody know exactly what they cover?

Answer Question
 
bradynsmom222

Asked by bradynsmom222 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • You need to call up those agencies. Sometime a hospital just won't bother even trying to bill any insurance provider. Call up the offices of IEHP and MEDICAL and tell them that you just received this bill for an ER visit, and that you need to have them look it over to see what they cover.
    kittyhasclaws

    Answer by kittyhasclaws at 7:32 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

  • call your insurance to verify its a valid bill and apply for financial aid if you think you qualify... you should if you're not married.
    staciandababy

    Answer by staciandababy at 7:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

  • It depends on your policy, and how much your insurance will cover, some only cover 80% after your deductable is met, if your deductable is not met you are responsable. You are also responsible for the remaining 20% if you have met the deductable. They also have allowable covered expenses, if its not covered under your policy then the hospital goes after you.
    midnightmoma

    Answer by midnightmoma at 7:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

  • Call your insurance companies and check to see if its covered. If it is, then call the hospital billing office and make sure it was filed correctly. I had the same issue when i was pregnant with my daughter. I went to the ER and they didnt file my insurance correctly. I had to call each one of the separate offices and give them the correct info for them to re file.

    abbynzachsmommy

    Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 7:46 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

  • THis is why you go to your doctor over the ER
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

  • I have medi-cal as well & have the same problems sometimes. Take your bill to your worker & explain to them that it was an emergency visit (duh) & they can help you fix the problem. Also contact the hospital & inform them of your Medi-cal & that they will have to bill there. You'll be fine after that. Once both parties are corrected with the information, it is no longer your responsibility (Medi-cal DOES still cover ER visits for pregnancy-related ailments). Keep a copy of the paperwork from both when you re-inform them. =)
    WannabeMommy87

    Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Pregnancy
Miscarriage

Next question overall (Just for Fun)
LOUD!