Should a close to retirement age person be able to adopt?

If a person knows that they will retire soon, do you think that they should be able to adopt? This child would receive social security benefits (including money) if the adoption went through.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Adoption

• Depends on their physical capabilities. If they're strong, healthy and can keep up, sure. Most "retired" people aren't really retired at that age. They just retired from the normal job they did for all those years. Of course, I would suggest they try for children instead of infants.
    Anonymous

• I know of a couple where the husband was older and retired. They did adopt internationally. Many dads in the area were also his age....it was not really an issue. I don't think the two sisters who grew up in an orphanage were upset one bit that their dad was "older." He was just dad.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I think it depends on the situation. Should a retirement age couple adopt a baby? Probably not in the best interest of the child. Should a retirement age couple adopt a teen or pre-teen? Might be a better scenario.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:33 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• As long as their are no HUGE physical limitations and such... why not?

My dh retired in order to be a sahd.

Is the bothering part to you that this person would be on social security??? or is it an age issue?
    Just curious

jmo
    PackGirl

Answer by PackGirl at 5:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• We are 44 & 48 and would desperately like to adopt. I feel that our ages are a bonus because we are more settled and financially stable. We will have more time and resources to raise a baby. I have no biological children and husband has two older daughters. WE want the opportunity to raise a baby together. An older child would not be the same experience for us.
    Steptrish

Answer by Steptrish at 3:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2009