When is it ok to CIO?

I Feel like the devil has taken over the body of my sweet baby boy in the last 2 hours. He has thrown a few temper tantrums over nothing just screaming and throwing things and hitting me and when he hit me i was sitting on the couch and i sat him on the floor and said no we dont hit and he thew a tantrum over that. I am at a loss. He is in his room crying in bed for the last half an hour and I don't know what to do!

GoddessHeatherM

Asked by GoddessHeatherM at 8:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As long as you know that nothing is wrong with him then it is okay to CIO. We are CIO parents and she has done it since 5 mos and it now 1yr. Just check on him every 10 mins or so. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• How old? sounds tired
    Anonymous

• 22 months i put him to bed and still screaming an hour later. keep checking on him grrrr
    GoddessHeatherM

Answer by GoddessHeatherM at 8:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Hmm...hard to say. Glad to hear that your keeping your cool. Can he indicate to you what he wants or what is wrong? He could be tired or just want his way with something. What was the initial tantrum about?
    momsc

Answer by momsc at 8:58 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• hmmm i wanted to change his diaper. yeah thats it then he got frustrated with a toy.
    GoddessHeatherM

Answer by GoddessHeatherM at 9:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• hes asleep as of an hour ago but i am not sure i am doing the right thing....
    GoddessHeatherM

Answer by GoddessHeatherM at 9:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Personally, I wouldn't want to make a habit of CIO, but if absolutely nothing else works then you have no other choice. Kids (and adults, including myself) are more easily frustrated when tired. According to what I've read, when kids are overtired, they have an even harder time falling asleep. Here's a couple of links to books I've read that helped me with the whole sleep issue.

http://www.amazon.com/No-Cry-Sleep-Solution-Gentle-Through/dp/0071381392

http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Sleep-Habits-Happy-Child/dp/0449004023
    momsc

Answer by momsc at 9:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• when my daughter was extreamly fussy like that, like unconsoleable crying, she was consupated or not feeling well lol or just plain tierd n cranky
    jayleegirl

Answer by jayleegirl at 11:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• when there's nothing else you can do for him...it is ok to c.i.o.
    and its ok for you to start laundry or go in the bathroom and run bath water or step outside while he does it so you dont have to just sit and listen. i learned if you go do something for 10-20min. and try to drown out the sound and not pay attention to it for a little bit, it will stop and seem like it stops a lot sooner than if your just listening and waiting...that makes it seem like it goes on for twice as long as it actually does
    good luck momma :)
    lilysmommy23

Answer by lilysmommy23 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• We have used the CIO method with our daughter since she was about 3 months old. When she was very little we let her cry for about 5 min. intervals between checking on her and calming her down. In about a week she was self-soothing and falling asleep easily on her own.

I believe in letting a child who is otherwise "ok" CIO. They are capable of calming themselves and it won't hurt him/her. You will get mixed reviews on this topic, but you have to do what is best for you and your child. If it were me, I'd be happy my child realized crying and carrying on wasn't going to change my mind about the decision that was made.
    Krinkle

Answer by Krinkle at 11:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2009