Does 1 day = 1,000 years?

Do you think the verse that references this is to be taken literally?

Is one day equal to 1,000 years, or is it to show us that our perception of time is not the same as Gods?

logansmomma2007

Asked by logansmomma2007 at 8:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, I don't. The earth is roughly 4.55 billion years old. So that just doesn't add up. Although I don't believe much of, if any of what the bible says, so I'm not really one to be asking.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Yes I do... we are according to God ... on the 3rd day.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:18 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• No, I don't think that verse was meant to be taken literally. The purpose of the verse, IMHO, is to give a finite mind who only understands a beginning and an end on a timeline an inkling of how God exists out of the boundaries of time and space. To take the verse literally and make it an equasion 1 day = 1,000 years defeats the purpose of a verse and put's God right back into humankind's perception of time and space.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I think it's about the perception of time - Hebriac numbers are full of symbolism. It's rather interesting to study actually because the shapes of the letters and numbers are part of their meaning.

Here's a website to get you started: http://home.earthlink.net/~walterk12/HIB/HebrewSymbols.html

Here's what it says about the number 1,000

(Aleph) The Upright of Israel speaks. Also, a battle axe.
    (ah) position 1; value 1, also 1000
    means: ox
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I agree with the others - it doesn't mean the exact 1 = 1,000. Our English vocabulary is around half a million, the Hebrew language has only 8,700 words, so alot of Hebrew words did double duty. The Hebrew word translated as "day" is "yom" and was used for various time periods from 12-hours to eternity. So it's not an exact one-on-one thing. The article "Word Study: Yom" is helpful.

It's also quite possible to accept that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God and to understand and accept the scientific theory of evolution.  Evolutionary Creationism is a good article explaining how.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:44 AM on Jul. 7, 2009