silly question kind of.

(Keep in mind this is my first baby and I am clueless :])

What does it feel like (and what all really happens) when your water breaks. I was sitting here...going through the normal braxton hicks and I was just thinking about real labor and a thought bubble came to mind "how will I know if it's real?" and "what happens when your water breaks....does it gush like the movies show...or does it just feel like your peeing?" (kind of silly I know)

I need some answers to ease my wondering mind! Thanks! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Everyone is different,and many women never actually have their water break on its own.

Mine didn't break until I was 7cm dilated, and they were saying that they may have to do it, and then all of a sudden this huge gush happened and it was my water. It was so....weird, lol. It doesn't hurt or anything, it just feels really weird.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• i think it can happen either way. sometimes they even have to break the water when they are delivering the baby (so you could be fully dialated and the sac is intact lol). i guess you'll just have to wait and see ;)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• your water wont always break right away but to tell the difference between bh and real contractions are if they are in your back they arent bh they are real
    Anonymous

• Ok this is my first child. I'm 38 weeks and about to go any day now. I have read everything, I went to the classes and I have so many mommys in my life to hear stories to know this. Just today I felt cramping like a period off and on all day. Thats braxton hicks. If its irregular in differant spots then its BH. Everyone tells me when the real thing happens you will know. Trust me I am waiting for that day to come and I feel little pains here and there but I know its not time yet.
    Also like the others said your water may not break right away but if it does it could start off being just a little trickle like you pee in your pants or it can be a big gush. They also say it has a distinct smell like comet cleaner or something. Hopefully this helps you!
    Ames826

Answer by Ames826 at 10:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2009