• In the Spotlight:

Uugh, I feel so disgusting!

Yesterday we were invited to a BDAy party, by some people whom we do not know very well. We went, and were trying to be nice and polite. I noticed all the animals they had, noticed that their house wasn't as clean as I am used to, and still ate food that I was unsure about because I was trying not to be arrogant, rude, etc. Anyway, after I got done eating one thing, I find out that it is pickled pig skin, then the next thing I eat is goat, and well, I threw up all night long. I feel so disgusting, and I just want all that food out of my system ASAP. I will never compromise like that again.
What should I have done? Have you ever been in a situation like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Hahaha grossssssss.. who serves that kind of stuff? I mean, eat whatever crap you like at your own risk.. but to serve it to guests? Barf. I wouldn't have eaten.. I don't care about being rude, don't serve me garbage.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 9:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• What's so gross about eating pig skin and goat?

My man's family is from Vietnam, so I've spent many a night eating quail, chicken hearts, chicken feet, countless internal organs, durrian fruit, bitter melon juice, tons of MSG, tofu skins, and some extremely strong spices. And I never feel like throwing up.

Respect what they eat.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 9:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• That is what I am feeling. I will never care if I seem rude again. Just glad I fed my kids before we went so they didn't eat anything.
    Anonymous

• Makes me want to become a vegitarian.
    Anonymous

• There is nothing wrong with eating pig skin or with eating goat, and no type of meat is inherently gross or vomit-inducing. The sanitary conditions of the house are a totally separate issue. People in other cultures do not eat some of the things we eat, just as we don't eat certain things that are considered normal food in other cultures or subcultures. I don't think it's right to lump eating goat meat together with having a dirty house. I wonder why you ate something not knowing what it was? I wonder if it tasted gross or if it was only gross once you found out what it was?
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 9:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I never said it was gross. The meal was actually quite tasty. Even after we left I was still ok. What I am having a hard time with is that I put myself and my family in a compromising situation because I wanted to be polite. I threw up all night and now all I can think of is "what did I eat? Something got me sick. No, I am not used to eating goat or pork. Maybe my body just can't tolerate it. Who knows what people feed their goats or pigs, is another thing I keep thinking. I am not trying to be rude, honestly. But I will never again eat something that I am unsure of.
    Anonymous

• It can be hard on your system to eat something you're not used to. And it must be scary, not knowing if it was that, or the unsanitary conditions, or something else t hat made you sick. As for what the goats eat, though, I don't know what you normally eat, but many Americans eat beef from feedlots. Cattle raised on feedlots are fed a lot of things you probably don't want to think about, like chicken feathers, plastic, all kinds of awful stuff. There are also a lot of artificial hormones in most milk, and one of the main reasons we have so many "superbugs" (bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics) is because of the antibiotics that are given to beef cattle and dairy cattle that are NOT sick; the conditions they are raised in make disease almost a given, so all animals receive the meds as a preventitive measure. The bacteria get exposed to these low levels of meds and become resistant to them.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 10:15 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• That is the thing. I hardly ever eat red meat, I buy free range, hormone free poultry and eggs. Milk without artificial hormones. I almost never buy anything that is pre-made. I try to eat as healthy as possible. On top of that I try to be as clean as possible. I think what I ate yesterday was a shock to my system.
    Anonymous

• yes, i have been in situations like that before. i always try to find something to eat (chips? cake? rice? something???) that i know will be ok. on the other hand, i am usually pregnant, so i just say i have terrible heartburn and just sip on something LOL. you could always say that your tummy has not been feeling well and you think that you should just have a little drink instead of eating.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:42 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• It was most likely what you said, a shock to your system. When you eat a food your body is not used to, especially if you eat larger amounts of it, your body can in a way reject it. When I try new foods, I make sure it's only a bite or two so that if I do get sick it's not horrible. You will feel better soon, and if you don't then I would go to the dr.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:54 AM on Jul. 7, 2009