How old was your child when you trusted them to clean up after a bm?

When did your child wipe themselves without you helping or checking their work?

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 9:12 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My older son was pretty good about it by age five and started kindergarten a few weeks later. As a nanny, I have seen certain personalities (and usually girls) doing very well on their own at three, and I've also seen others (always boys, lol) not handling it at six or seven! If your son has that attention to detail and being clean is important to him, he may be capable at three. My little one doesn't have a clue. He stands right up and pulls his pants back up if I'm not right there to clean him up, lol. He's a month younger than your son and he's been using the potty by himself for nearly 11 months now. At his level of development, if he can't see a mess, he's not aware that there is one, if you know what I mean, lol.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 10:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I think it was around 4 but i still wanted to check before they pulled their pants back up. Now at 6 I still dont think they are that great at it!
    emilysmom401

Answer by emilysmom401 at 9:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• 5 years of age. If I let them "wipe" before that age, it usually just showed up in their underwear :)
    junaow

Answer by junaow at 9:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• my daughter is 4 1/2, and has been doing it well on her own for about 3 months. she is still using those kandoo wipes though, we're working on switching to toilet paper and that will be a little trickier.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 10:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• my ds was 3 1/2. He's 4 now and I have yet to find skid marks. He wipes until there is none on the toilet paper. He doesn't use a ton of toilet paper either. My dd on the other hand was 5 and still not getting all the way clean. It wasn't until she almost 6 until she got it all clean.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 10:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• my dd is almost 3 and she still yells, "moooommm!" when she's done. but i think when she does start wiping herself i will have her use the wet wipes that you can flush, like cottonelle has so she dont use a whole roll of t.p. and they will do a better job getting her butt clean, and i will check her work until she does a good job about 5 or 6 times then i will let her be unless i start seeing poop stains in her panties...sounds good to me...hopefully it works out that way :)
    lilysmommy23

Answer by lilysmommy23 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Addison turned 4 on Saturday and has been wiping himself for about 3 months with out me checking .... sometimes he still asks for help which is fine, but I am encouraging him to do it himself, especially since he has to do it himself at school.
    mamatoheartbaby

Answer by mamatoheartbaby at 11:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My daughter is 4 and just recently started wiping herself. She usually does pretty good, but I still occasionally find skid marks in her undies.
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 11:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2009