How do I keep my toddler to sit still in her high chair in a restaurant?

She wants to get out and walk around the restaurant, she thinks its funny.

girlsrfun

Asked by girlsrfun at 3:09 AM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Make sure to use the seat belt restraint. Distraction and entertainment at your table is essential for all to have a nice time. We take a whole bag of toys and a coloring book and crayons when we go out to eat. It usually works for about 30 minutes...after that ..get a doggie bag and head for the door. LOL
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 3:38 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• If you keep letting her out to walk around, then that's what she will want to do. You're the adult, don't unbuckle the seat belt and let her down.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:52 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• tell her no, she has to sit in the chair and eat,(and dont give in) bring a small toy with u or see if they have them colouring pencil and paper for children, most places were i am do,
    sammy04k

Answer by sammy04k at 10:26 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Bring stuff for her to eat & to play with at the table while you're waiting for your food. Try not to go into a crowded place b/c the service will be slow. If the place has crayons, balloons or anything like that, make them give her one. And talk to her... tell her "You have to stay in your seat just like all the other people." And don't ignore her... I see a lot of adults having conversations and the toddlers are getting cranky b/c no one is playing with them. If your food is taking a really long time, you can take her out of the seat, walk her out to the parking lot for a minute, and bring her back in. That works with my son sometimes.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• always take things for them to do. remember that you are not your childs personal entertainer. they have to learn to entertain themselves.
    show them how!!! I am lucky..98% of the time my kids are GREAT in restaurants. they color..play games..play "eyespy" etc.
    they eat and then we go.
    are you picking restaurants with food they like? are they kid friendly? is your toddler getting TOO MUCH play time with you. over attachment is not healthy either.
    I think that different things work for different people. you have to try and find what works for you!
    i always get comments on how well my kids behave. i seriously dont have to do much i started from the beginning. they see kids misbehaving and they say "ooohhhhh, they are going to get into trouble" I say yup. mine are 3 and 4.

best of luck..take a deep breathe and try it all.
    CoolYourWorld

Answer by CoolYourWorld at 10:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Never take a starving, tired toddler out - you're asking too much of them. Keep him/her busy...foods he/she likes and books (Dr. Seuss and Richard Scarry are the best!) Also, don't ignore the child - keep him/her involved in the conversation and keep calm. Kids pick up on certain attitudes and react accordingly.
    1funkymomma

Answer by 1funkymomma at 11:22 AM on Jun. 23, 2008