Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Crisis, anyone have any suggestions?

My mom and her BF of 10 years moved to Fl a few years ago, I am in PA. A year after they were there, my moms BF was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer and is dieing. He is up in PA now with his kids. My mom is in FL by herself and the house is forclosing since they hadnt paid the mortgage sine he got sick and had to stop working. My mom is on disability but its supplemental since she has never worked and never paid in to true disability the state gives her $442 to live off of which is insane. I applied for her to get food stamps but they declined the case assistance. How do they expect someone to live off of that! $442 a month!!! You cant even rent a room for that amount. is anyone familier with any other resources I could help her with. She cant live with me as we have a 2 bedroom house and are packed wall to wall, plus she is highly allergic to dogs and we have 2.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (5)
  • If,she come to PA.,there are all types of low income or subsidized apt.all she need is to get in touch with the Corperation for the Aged or the Metroplian Corporation for Disability,both numbers should be in your directory,there are buildings going up at all times.


    Answer by lady-t3984 at 9:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

  • Is your mom physically unable to work? If so, I imagine there are program for her to get some assistance-- whether it be through the state or private community resources. Start by finding out whether there are any senior programs for low-income individuals-- you might want to start with AARP.

    Good luck!

    Answer by Busimommi at 9:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

  • Try applying for SSI. My mom gets that. She's disabled, but never worked long enough to receive disability. It's not much better than what she's getting now, but she would also automatically qualify for medicaid, so all her medical would be free.

    Also, and I know this sounds really shitty.... but we have to face reality here, if she marries her boyfriend, then she'll be able to get his social security. Sounds cold, I know, but if she doesn't & he has an exwife somewhere, the ex will have dibs on it --- which I'm pretty sure he wouldn't want if she's an ex.

    Answer by Laura1229 at 9:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

  • OP here....Laura1229, she actually does get SSI and thats where her $442 comes from. She has minearse disease which is an balancing issue with her inner ears. She does get medicaid though. She is only53 and doesnt qualify for AARP. They actually did talk about getting married but they would have to be married for a certian amount of months for her to get the social security, he wont last that long. They inquired about it and I think they said 7 or 8 months they would have to be married for

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

  • i say get married and pray hard. Can your mom do something that she can sit down to do? maybe telecommuting? There are legitimate jobs out there that will let you work from home over the phone. She could also consider talking to church that might be willing to raise funds for her or help her out

    Answer by katiekruschke at 10:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.