How do you teach a child to chew?

My daughter is 6.5 months old and I've just recently started giving her puffs. She doesn't like the texture of them, so she usually moves them around in her mouth and spits them back out. I'm kind of at a loss for how to start "table" foods. She's been on baby food since she was four months old and she has three teeth. She's advanced for her age.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 9:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know that there is much that you can do to "teach" her to chew. My six year old still has trouble chewing food and has been seeing ST, OT, and PT for three years now. But I still don't have any good therapy tricks to share with you. She'll either figure it out on her own (which most babies do) or you'll need to get some therapy for her if she doesn't. But, at 6 months old, I wouldn't be worried too much.... My daughter was born with a cleft palate and pierre robin syndrome (short chin) so that is where her chewing issues stem from.

Your DD should catch on when she is ready... moving food around in her mouth is a good start!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• This is a thing they pick up themselves. If she''s spitting them out she probably can't mash them and isn't ready for them. Most babies have started cereal around 4 months. My baby didn't start being able to mash tablefoods until 7 months. All babies are different. I would wait with those and try 3rd foods or stuff like mashed up cooked foods. So, she can practice mashing with her gums.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 9:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• go to walmart and with the sipy cups there is a fresh food mesh thing.....sorry i'm tired. It looks like a pacifier and has a mesh net on the end. You can cut up fruit and put it inside...completely safe when watched with it. My daughter is 6.5 months and loves it. She chews her little heart out on it. BTW it's under three dollars so grab a few if she has 3 teeth....she might tear it up
    rowdy24

Answer by rowdy24 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• You don't. You just keep offering things like puffs until she figures it out on her own. She will, everyone does. But if you push her to eat new things faster than she wants to master it, you may make her not want to eat anything new at all. Easy does it and give her time.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2009