calling a priest father...yet the bible says nto to?

" The English word, “pope,” comes from the Latin word, “papa,” which means “father.”

But our Lord told His disciples, (and us through them), “…call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. (Matthew 23:9) This had to be meant in a spiritual sense since we all have earthly fathers, while our heavenly Father is a spirit to be worshiped in spirit and truth. (John 4:24) And based on this admonition from Jesus, there shouldn’t even be a Catholic priesthood much less a papacy, for all Catholic priests are addressed as, “Father"

i just copied and pasted. what do you think?

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 9:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think the Bible has waaaaaaaayyyyy too many contradictions. It's extremely frustrating so I decided a long time ago to make my own rules :)
    AJsMomma

Answer by AJsMomma at 9:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• one thing i find interesting was an article published that was set forth by the vatican, saying that the bible is not 100 percent correct and not everything is meant to be taken as literal as many think. they quoted a lot of parts of creation that they are saying is nto true.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 9:42 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• http://www.catholic.com/library/Call_No_Man_Father.asp
    Anonymous

• I was 7 yrs old... told to call my step mom's priest "father" .... I refused because he was NOT my father and I never knew Jesus or the bible then... Children sense and see more that adults do.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Very good point Moki!
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 11:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• AJs, but in this case, it is not the Bible that is contradicting itself, it is the traditions of the Catholic church seemingly contradicting the Bible. I do not believe that Catholic traditions should be held on equal par with the Bible. :-)

Just because something isn't literal doesn't make it in err. It just means the meaning is not within the "body" of the text but rather the soul or the spirit. In other words, the meaning isn't within the literal meaning of the words but the principle that the words together convey.

As far as that verse is concerned, I don't think Jesus really cares what we refer to each other as, so long as no one is replacing the object of our worship or the role that God plays in our lives. However, do I PERSONALLY think that the Catholic priesthood and heirarchy take on to themselves priviledges that someone should deal with directly to God instead? Yes, I personally do. JMHO.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Despite whether or not that verse is meant to be taken literally, I think it's probably still a good idea not to refer to religious leaders as "father" though lol. Just the principle of the matter.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• well I am not your sister shaneagle yet I see you be so sad how your Christian sisters respond in post.
    Anonymous

• Moki, if you are really interested in learning about the Catholic faith I invite you to join or visit the group Catholic Moms there is a section called Learning the Catholic Faith that is open to all cafemom members. I am not an active member of the group, but there are some very honest in the group.

While I have grown stronger in  my faith because of cafemom debates I also encourage you to read and gather information on your own. Two books I like are Catholicism for Dummies and The Catholicism Answer Book 

drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 11:18 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• the bible does not contradict itself, but is seen as such because of man's traditions. show me a contradiction and I will show you the truth :) Also to answer the question I do not believe we are to consider anyone a holy father. Other then our heavenly father.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 11:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2009