what was the church started by christ...

ok i know im gonna get different answers. but was the actual church/denomination started by christ?

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 9:48 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Catholics believe that the Church is "Apostolic", meaning it started with the Apostles. We believe that it can be traced right back to St. Peter, who we believe to have been the first Pope. In the Bible:

Becoming a disciple of Jesus, Peter acknowledged him as "... the Messiah, the son of the living God”. Christ responded by saying: "... you are Peter and upon this rock I will build my church.... He added: “I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven”.
    Anonymous

• The first followers of Christ were Jews. While He was alive they were Jewish, and Christianity did start as a strain of Judaism.
    I do agree, though, that the first term for the Christian "church"/religion would be "Apostolic", because it is referring to the Apostles.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Jesus didnt start a church or a denomination. His followers did when they first were called Christians at Antioch.
    Jesus didnt come to earth to start a denomination or church but to have a relationship with each one of us and to fulfill the prophesies spoken of in the OT. He came to teach us how to love, forgive and be gracious.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:18 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Jesus did not start a denomination or really condone ritual/religion at all. He told us "I am the law." No longer were the Jews to follow the laws of the Old Testament. They are to follow him. He came to establish a relationship between God and all humankind. The first church that existed is described in Acts, made up of the Apostles. The Apostles then went and established churches and assisted the churches with their ministries (which is where the epistles of the Bible come from, i.e. Galatians, Ephesians ect.).

Christianity existed in multiple forms after Jesus' assention. As a whole, it was refered to as "Catholic" simply because Catholic means "universal." Roman Catholicism, with the traditions and being similar to what we know of it today, did not develop until the conversion of Emperor Constantine in 318 AD. This is one reason why Protestants broke off from Catholicism (cont.).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:42 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• because they felt that the rules, rituals and traditions of the Catholic church were not what Jesus or the Apostles intended. Protestants believe that Jesus' blessing of Peter was metaphorical. We do not literally take it to mean that Peter was to be God's representitive on earth or that a line of Pope's could continue. In fact, in my reading, I have been unable to find who Peter's successors were as Pope between him and Pope Leo, with the first recorded Pope that I can find being the Roman bishop Leo I (440-461). Protestants feel that there are rules and stipulations placed on salvation by the Catholic church which Christ never intended.

There are hundreds of denominations. All claim to be closer to the way of worship and belief that Jesus intended. I think there is some truth in everything but that no one really has it 100% perfect. Lucky for us, it is faith that guarantees us salvation and nothing else. Period.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Ditto to bandgeeks
    Anonymous

• I don't believe that Jesus came to start a denomination but if I were to pick it would certainly be pentecostal. Acts 1:8 This was the start of the believers and Christians movement.
    Anonymous

• imo I don't think ANY denomination was started by Christ. He started the church of follow the bible and live your lives by it. Love God and you get to go to heaven lol.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 11:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• there isnt one. like PPs have said Jesus didnt set out to start a church, he wanted Jewish ppl to change their ways.

i have looked into a LOT of Christian churches, it seems each one has something in it that just doesnt match up with common Biblical interpretation. so no church is perfect or "right"...no matter what that denomination may think.

there is no Jesus church...but there are lots of churches that follow Jesus.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:18 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Think of the basic things, Jesus established and organized - faith, repentance, baptism, gift of the Holy Ghost, sacrament, apostles,

....then in acts those apostles called assisting 70, the apostles received revelations from Jesus on how to lead the church...

...in the Bible they called all the members "saints" and the epistles often referred to the church as "The Church of God."
    Anonymous