how do you decide what religion your child should be the moms or dads?

my husband is seventh day adventist and im christian baptist. but his family is so set in their ways they even want me to switch over.. WHAT DO I DO??

mommytobe525

Asked by mommytobe525 at 9:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Do both? A weekend of religious services...He'll no doubtedly rebel when he's older if you guys can't agree...he'll push 'em both away. Take the path of least resistance and go to your husbands church. Or it's time to find your faith and decide to teach him what you know and let dad do the same...don't cave. Good luck.
    hermajesty2

Answer by hermajesty2 at 9:56 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My husband teaches our son his religion, I teach our son my religion. When he is older, he can decide which one he wants to follow.
    Anonymous

• I am not going to decide what religion my child should be. We are a Christian family and our home serves the Lord. However, if my child is lead to do something else, I cannot help that. I can force a child to say the right things, read the rights things and do the right actions but I cannot climb into his head and heart and mechanically force him to believe something.

This is an issue between you and your DH and marriage is about comprimise. I'm assuming at least some of the family members who are pushing you have been married before and should know that religion is an issue between a husband and wife and that comprimise is important for a marriage to work. They need to respect that and give you your space. If there are issues with them, DH needs to deal with them. They will never take something from you the same way as they will coming from their own son.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• As for you, I'd again hope that they'd want you to convert if and when you are ready. I do not find it at all flattering to a religion or belief when conversion and "belief" are forced or coerced. People should want others to follow their religion because it is a truth they have been convicted of. Don't deny what you feel is right just to please them. It will only reap resentment between you and DH and/or you and his family.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Shouldn't this have been decided before a child was brought into it?
    Anonymous

• hubby doesn't like to attend church or religion really and i don't mind. i told him if he wanted his religion then he had to attend every sunday with our kids or they'd go to my religion. they go to my religion. that's all you gotta do, very very simple and easy. give him a choice i bet he chooses your religion. not all churches practice the understanding and respect they preach. what ever you do emphasize that with practice of it in your personal and social and community lives. schools really don't practice it either - bully is rampant in schools. emphasize personal respect and respect of others differences and abilities 24/7 no matter what religion for your kids to be most in self respect andrespect of others.
    Anonymous

• We are not choosing one belief over another, we are teaching both of our beliefs along with the beliefs of others. It is not for us to decide the paths of our children. As for your in-laws, this has nothing to do with them and they need to stay out of it. This is a decision only you and your husband can make.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 10:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I dont decide. My children do. I expose them to as many faiths, religions, beliefs that i can and let them make their own choice. That is how i will raise all my children. I've already started this and my boys are 3 and 4 yrs old. They already understand that people believe different things.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Well that does seem like a dilemna. I say both. I was raised a Seventh Day Adventist and am just now coming back to the Lord. But while I was searching religions I found sunday churches too easy, so I am right now putting Seventh Day Adventist under the microscope. So far they are passing. Ummmm but yeah both, have the hcild go to church Saturday and respect the sabbath sundown friday till sundown Sat and then go to church on sun. Of course the SDA will be alittle more because we feel that sunday will be a test. I am sure you are aware of this lol. So I would do both and when the child gets older let them decide God doesn't force so neigther hould we. but we should raise our children in his ways. Now why did you marry an SDA or him you? Or did he convert after? Or you leave the SDA?
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 11:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• You do what you and your husband feels is best. They are YOUR children, not the extended family's.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2009