How do I get my 18 month oldto sleep all night?

Well I am fighting my 18 month old to sleep all night...we just took his bottle away today so i am hoping that might help but he wakes up aleast 3 to 4 times a night so if anyone can help me let me know thanks.....

mommy_2_4_09

Asked by mommy_2_4_09 at 10:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It will probably take a few nights before he gets the point that you will not be coming in with a bottle. Consider putting a sippy cup full of water in his crib so he can help himself if he gets thirsty. Keep in mind that the old-wives-tale of stopping fluids hours before bedtime when trying to night time potty train does not work and is not recommended by the AAP. So go ahead and let him have something to drink in the night if he wants it - just let it be self-serve.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Do you put him down awake or is he already sleeping when you put him down? With my son, I would let him fuss for 10 minutes before I went in. Then I would rub his back, talk to him, etc until he would settle down. I would not pick him up unless he was very upset. Once he was calmed down, I would leave the room again. If he got fussy, I would repeat the same thing as above. I also did this routine when we put him to bed also. He now sleeps all night long. Sometimes I let him have a few toys in his crib and a sippy of water if it is hot outside.
    mandamitch

Answer by mandamitch at 11:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2009