I'm Seeking Birthing Plan Advice-

My friend suggested I start my birth(ing?) plan as this is my first child and I will not be calm enough to answer questions realistically. I have no clue where to start, I know a few things I want (no bottles, no epidural, baby to stay in my room etc)

I am scared of coming off as a bossy momzilla to the doctor/nurses, but there ARE a few things that are very important to me (paranoia?). I am wondering what are the most important things I should include in my plan.

So far I have:
-No bottles given to my daughter, I am strictly breastfeeding
-No epidural
-Only those who need to be present in my room allowed
-No taking my daughter away unless my husband or sister is with her
-I'd like my daughter to stay in my room, no nursery

I'd like to keep it as short as possible. Any suggestions ladies? Thanks in advance!

ClaudieOct3rd

Asked by ClaudieOct3rd at 10:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• well, whatever you come up with, just keep in mind that birth is very unpredictable and things might not go as planned, so if that happens, don't be devestated that it didn't go the way you wanted to..... just try to focus on the baby. also, check with the hospital about what their standard policies are. for instance, at my hospital, you are expected to room in with baby and the nursery is only for sick babies or if the momma is too sick to care for baby. that way you won't waste time thinking about things that are already the way you would prefer. gl
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I put on mine that I wish to be able to take fluids by mouth throughout the first stage of labor. and I also put I would like to be able to move around and change positions throughout labor.
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 11:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I also put I would prefer to keep the number of vaginal exams to a minimum. dont like too many thing down there. also I do not wish to have the amniotic membrane ruptured artificially unless signs of fetal distress require internal monitoring. b/c that just gets me worried. and I would like my husband and/or nurses to support me and my legs as necessary during the pushing stage.b/c I want him to get in the whole labor thing maybe next time he'll think twice b4 getting me pregnant.haha
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 11:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• http://www.womenshealthcaretopics.com/pregnancy/pregnancy_77.html

this was posted in a previous answer to this kind of question and it made so much sense to me.
    Also BE a momzilla its your baby and your body make them do the things you want and research as much as you can b4 hand so you are fully aware of the "lies" they tell you to get you to comply with their schedule!
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 11:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Also talk to your Dr about the plan you make and make them understand that you will not comply just because , that there has to be a good reason that is fully explained to you for you to change your plan! As i said b4 keep remembering this is YOUR body and baby and YOUR experience your body will tell you if you need something different. Listen to your intuition.
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 11:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I would suggest you address all types of pain managment (not just epidural), how you want to labor, food/drink, fetal & contraction monitoring, being able to move around/shower/bath/etc, what type of treatments you want the baby to have, who cuts the cord, pacifiers, who is allowed in the room, etc. Make sure to start talking to your doctor or midwife about your wishes early. Make sure your husband or another labor support person knows your wishes and will be an advocate for your wishes. Don't leave it on yourself to voice what you want while in labor and don't expect the hospital staff to remember (they usually have several women they are attending at a time).
    mandamitch

Answer by mandamitch at 11:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• go to www.babycenter.com and search for birth plan, you can fill it out, print it and give a copy to your OB and put one in your hospital bag
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 7, 2009