Banning gambling ?

Despite the foregone tax revenue in a country in very bad shape financially, Russia has closed all casinos and banned most other forms of gamling on account of soocial problems caused by gambling addiction and also possible links with organised crime
Do you think we should the same here ?

janet116

Asked by janet116 at 10:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't see it happening, but it wouldn't be a bad thing! Crime goes up everytime gambling is brought in to an area. I believe poverty also goes up. Despite the numbers of people who can afford, countless others can't and it destroys communities.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:49 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• No. People should be responsible for their OWN lives. People should be held ACCOUNTABLE. The government should NOT be responsible for its' citizens choices. Death of Common Sense.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• If gambling was banned in the US, I would get to watch the town I grew up in (and my parents still live) turn into a ghost town. Since gambling was brought back to Deadwood in 1986, the casinos and the local gold mines were the only things keeping the surrounding communities alive. The gold mines kept the community alive before gambling was brought back to Deadwood. The majority of the gold mines shut down several years ago leaving the casinos to support everyone. Nearly half of the 12,000 people that live in the Deadwood area are employed by the gambling industry.
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 11:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I've been to AC 4 times. One time, I put 5 bucks in a slot machine on a whim and won 60. That was pretty cool.

But it was also the only time I gambled. It felt ridiculous to put money that i'd worked so hard for in a machine.
    The other times we went to the beach and clubbing.

Why can't people just be responsible for their own actions? Why does there need to be a law for everything?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Hell No! Consenting adults need to take responsibility for their own actions and I don't want to give the govt any more power or control in our lives than it already has.

"For every prohibition you create, you also create an underground"

Friday

Answer by Friday at 11:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Banning gambling would just give organized crime one more commodity that no one else has.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 11:42 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• if we banned gambling then we would screw the Indians all over again.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:49 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• If they banned gambling all it would do is put a lot more people out of work. You can't shut down an entire industry just because some people don't have the common sense to control themselves.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Personally I think it would be a good idea...
    HOWEVER I THINK THE LOBBIESTS IN AMERICA WOULD MAKE SURE THAT BILL NEVER SAW THE LIGHT OF DAY...
    WalkingtheTalk

Answer by WalkingtheTalk at 12:54 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Stop trying to nanny us all back into infancy again. Adults of legal age should have the right to do, eat, drink, smoke or waste their money on whatever the hell they want to. Just because some people can't or won't control themselves is no reason to ban it. 10,000 people have automobile crashes every week--should we ban driving in automobiles, too? For people's own safety, of course....
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:29 AM on Jul. 7, 2009