Daughter won't take immunizations

My 11 yr old dtr recently had a physical for school and was due for 3 shots. After two visits and several hours she still hasn't gotten these shots which I understand are required for school. The Dr's offc. refuses to hold her down due to liability reasons and she could also get hurt. (Yes, she thrashes about). She cried and bobbed and weaved around the exam room and is afraid to get the shots. (Her twin sis took them w/o blinking). I've spoken to her and she says she's just afraid of what they'll feel like. She's afraid how it's going to feel because she doesn't know how it'll feel. We tried numbing her arm w/ice and everything. No luck. I have tried to scare her into getting them (she can have them w/me there or in school by the school nurse w/o me there - she won't be allowed in sch. until she gets them, etc.) By this age, she should be over this. Any suggestions that might help??? She has very high anxiety.

Cantstandya

Asked by Cantstandya at 10:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• A. She can be in school without them.
    B. Tell the doctor to sedate her with an oral medication if you want her to have them.
    C. IF your daughter is this anxious and you are wanting someone to hold her down for shots you have way more problems then you are saying. Also trying to scare her into having them is abusive. AND WRONG. Tell her the truth. It will hurt, but it will be over so fast she won't know it.
    Anonymous

• If she has a lot of anxiety period take her to a therapist go with her if she wants you there wait outside if she doesnt.... and get a new pediatrician gee wiz isnt that what they do for a living??is give shots to scared kids??
    ok my last comment have her wear a dress or skirt to the next visit... get help to hold her down and have the nurse give her the shots in her thigh-- it hurts less and has a lot more advantages then the arm... also if she moves in the thigh there is not a nerve complex to worry about in the deltiod there is which could seriously injure her if she moves
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Like the previous poster said, she does not have to have them to be in school. Is it that important to you that she get them?? I only ask, because if you don't have a strong opinion about them, tell her she can skip them if she researches what they are for, what the dangers are, and gives you a full report! Maybe understanding it would help her get them, or if she still chooses not to, she will understand the arguments.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:55 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Micheledo I totally agree. But 11 she can do research on the shots and decide for herself if she wants them or not. I think that is the best advice i have heard about this type of issue. I wasn't given the choice to get or not to get vaccines until i had them in middle school and i had bad reactions to them so its great to give a child a choice on what goes into her body once she is fully informed
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 11:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I was told by my 11 year olds pediatrician that she needed a varicella(chicken pox booster) for school. Also they suggested a hepititus (A?B?) I can't remember. And the new vaccine for cervical cancer. My daughter will be the same way I think. When I was a kid I never threw a fit over shots, but I did pass out after every single one that I got. I am over it now, but some people really have a fear of needles.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 7:45 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• You can get a waiver from the school. They 'require' them but don't tell you they accept waivers too.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:47 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• We don't vaccinate at all. You can get a waiver... it's easy. They can't FORCE you to have toxins injected into your kids.
    RobynS

Answer by RobynS at 9:04 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• you and your husband can hold her down for the nurses (have 2 do them so they can do 2 shots at once). The issue is not whether she needs them to attend school or whether you can get a waiver to have her not get them but whether you are comfortable with her possibly contracting a serious illness if she does not get them. Her twin has gotten the shots so she is protected BUT she could become a carrier for the diseases and give them to your unvaccinated daughter. Not to mention all the children she will contact daily at school who could infect her. (yes I vaccinate my dd and I am PROUD to care enough about her health to do it)
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 10:06 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I did not read other responces.
    I know how abrupt kids can be but wow,if my dd pulled this on me I would be livid.
    My 9 yr old dd just had to get two cavities filled yesterday and was really trying to get out of it. I did not baby her and she went back by herself. I could hear her wimpering and squeling once in a while-it hurt me by the way to hear her but I kept put. This stuff is teaching them about life and that this is what they have to do in order to take care of their health.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• "this stuff is teaching them about life and that this is what they have to do in order to take care of their health" Just informing you that this is NOT the only way to take care of their health. THis poor girl has a serious phobia here and just forcing this on her or holding her down is only going to cause problems between her parents and her at such a crucial age! I would say take a waiver at least until you can deal with this emotional trauma...it needs to be taken seriously! NOT just brush her feelings under the rug and forced upong her ( I don't vaccinate, but if my child had such anxieties about ANYTHING I would address it before I go plunging in head first).
    sighsmom

Answer by sighsmom at 10:45 AM on Jul. 7, 2009