how can I get my 3 yr old DD to stay in her room and sleep??

Me and my SO reciently put our 3 yr old in the same room as her sister who is 18mths for bed at night. They both go to bed at 8:30 9:00. It takes hours to get them to sleep. The 18mth old would fall right asleep if it wasnt for her sister constantally getting out of her bed crying and running around laughing. Im so fed up I have spanked her butt so many times that I can't bare to do it again. Im so sick of this every night, I despertly need help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• have you tried/or would you consider letting your 3 year old fall asleep and then taking her to her bed after she falls asleep? just a suggestion...or have you tried reading a couple books to her in a soft voice and seeing if she will fall asleep to that?
    good luck! :)
    lilysmommy23

Answer by lilysmommy23 at 11:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• sadley all i ahve to add is jsut give it time and your 3 year old will realize its bed time and will go to sleep on her own... it took about 2 months here
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 11:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• You've tried the stick, try a carrot instead.
    Give her a small token of some kind - I simply printed out a star. Keep it by her bed. If you have to go in (or she comes out), she loses the star. If she still has the star in the morning, she can trade it in for a treat. That might be a half hour of her favorite TV show, a treat at breakfast, a trip to the park... decide ahead of time what you could put up with giving her everyday and let that be her treat.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My 3 yr and 2 yr olds share a room and like you one falls asleep fine, the other is horrible.
    I suggest putting the younger one to sleep first and when she's out put the other to bed. With my girl, the more I restrict her the more she fights and the longer she stays up so let her sleep on the floor (I dunno why she likes that better than a bed) but I give her the 5 rules and count them on my fingers so it's easier to remember; No eating, no drinking (she'll try to stall bedtime by asking for food), no talking, no playing (with her bro), and don't come out of the room. I had to "stand guard" outside her room for a few months but now she's finally getting it.
    Whatever you do, hang in there and keep it strict so they are/she is clear about the rules and follow them, bringing peace of mind for ALL of you.
    kira_5105

Answer by kira_5105 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• The PPs have given you some great advice. I used to play classical music about a 1/2 hour to an hour before bedtime. The music calmed my children. When I put them down to bed, I would read them a story or a chapter of a story. They loved story time. I tried to make sure that any activity before bedtime did not wind them up. When they would get out of bed, I had to be consistent. While it is frustrating, your child will eventually figure out what you expect when it is bed time. Hang in there.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:54 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I agree with the "positive' parenting listed above. Give your daughter an incentive to stay in bed for several nights...maybe three weeks. Use a chart to help her see her progress. Provide rewards for daily successes (fav breakfast food or a nutritious treat after breakfast), weekly successes (a trip to the dollar store to get a gift), and then one nice, big overall success (an item that she really wants or a new outfit or a trip to Chuckee Cheese or her fav place to eat). Habits are usually formed after 21 days but with little kids you may have to keep up the daily rewards after the overall success to keep her mindful of her responsibilty.
    dstoeck

Answer by dstoeck at 10:20 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I agree with the other posters.. you didn't mention if your dd takes a nap in the day and if so for how long? My dd is 3 and no longer takes naps because it interfered with night sleep too much. It used to be an hour or more ordeal of her jumping out of bed playing. Now I cut out naps she falls asleep within 10 minutes when left in her room at bedtime, and she has plenty of energy in the day so she doesn't miss her naptime. I also don't give her any sweets/juice etc. an hour before bed, give her a warm bath, and turn off the TV and have quiet time like reading a story or two. It all calms her and gets her ready to sleep. My daughter is an VERY active child so the calming routine before bed has really made a difference too. Good luck!
    ta1jade

Answer by ta1jade at 11:25 AM on Jul. 7, 2009