Did your vagina tear when you gave birth?

I wonder how common it is. I'm pregnant with my first and I wonder what my chances are of having a torn vag. Did it hurt tremendously? Did it take a long time to heal?

preggoandfat

Asked by preggoandfat at 11:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had an episiotomy but it didn't matter. I tore horribly. No it doesn't hurt when you tear because the joys of childbirth don't let you feel the tear. Trust me your mind will be elsewhere. The stitching doesn't feel the greatest but if you are holding your little one... who really cares!!! I healed very quickly. My second child I didn't tear much at all. Both my kids are almost 8 lbs. Right now enjoy your pregnancy. Your vagina will recover.
    lovemyboysx2

Answer by lovemyboysx2 at 12:02 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• It all depends on the tear, how bad it is. I was cut with my first one, and that was hard to heal from, with my second I didn't get an epsiotomy and I did tear, but it was a small laceration so wasn't too bad. With or without a vaginal tear, you will be a little tender down there just from giving birth
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:32 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I didn't even notice when it happened. The worst part was feeling them stitch me up. They give you a foam to put on that numbs it when you go home. That stuff helps a lot.
    Anonymous

• I had to have a c-section but my friend had a small tear with her baby. She says that whole area is just sore and you really do not care if you had a tear or not. About a week later she was feeling fine.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Yes, they did an epitomize. Then I had stitches for 6 or 7 weeks. The stitches came out themselves.
    jagrus

Answer by jagrus at 11:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I had an episiotomy for the first and it took a very long to heal. It hurt to have sex for a year. with the other two I had very minimal tearing and the easiest recoveries. I would rather take the risk of tearing than have an episiotomy.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• i didnt have an episiotomy, and i didnt tear. dont know how.
    LA09TKP

Answer by LA09TKP at 11:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I tore the first time. I didn't feel it when it happened, but wow, it hurt when she was sewing me up. It took a long time to heal and hurt for a long time after that.

I didn't tear at all with my second.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:15 AM on Jul. 7, 2009