i think I'm a type 2 diabetic can I wait to see a doc

so my husband is a type one diabetic and I have been having some unexplained serious health issues. I used his meter a few times to see if it's my sugar and it has been high every time. I know I am not type one because I would be in serious trouble by now. I have a follow up appointment in 2 1/2 weeks with my doc. Do I wait till then or should I be seen sooner? Does 2 weeks really matter that much? My husband says I should go to urgent care but Im not sure

katiekruschke

Asked by katiekruschke at 11:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Health

• When you say high what do you mean?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I mean what are your numbers? They told me I was diabetic and my fasting was 110, my after meals was 150. (That is not high compared to some people.)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• yeah my numbers are around yours like 145 after a meal and 109 fasting
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 11:56 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Those are not high enough for urgent care, but definitely keep taking your sugars. Avoid sugar and excess carbs and talk to your doc at your reg appointment. Remember it all depends on what and when you eat. It is totally diffferent then for a Type 1 who is regulating all sugars with insulin.
    Use your best judgement. Call your doctors office in the morning. They may want you to fast before coming in and do an A1C test.

I'm not a doctor and am going by my own experiences.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I AM a diabetic, but I am a type 1. My fiance checks his sugars every so often when he starts feeling funny and hsi numbers are usually right around where yours are. He has gone to the Dr and they tend to keep telling him that he is borderline. That may be your case. I believe that just like people are different with their blood pressure norms, so are they with their blood sugar norms. If you, say, drank a regular coke and 20 minutes later checked your sugars and they were around 200 or so, (where mine would be), then I would be concerned about diabetes. I am going to agree with the person before me and suggest that urgent care may not be the place for you, however if you begin to feel fatigued, ill to your stomach, super cottonmouth, or if you begin to notice that you are not quite behaving normally (attention wise), then I would seek medical advice sooner. Otherwise, you are right in waiting it out a bit longer. GL!
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 2:44 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I wouldn't wait, diabetes can be very serious if not deadly. I would call the doctor and make an appointment ASAP.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:48 AM on Jul. 7, 2009