mattress cover that prevents SIDS 100%?

Here is the website:

http://www.babysnugglebugs.com/catalog/babesafemattresscover.html

Basically this product is a mattress cover that claims to prevent toxic gas that is released from a crib mattress from reaching the baby and causing SIDS.

Take a minute to look over this website and read this Dr. Spott's theory on SIDS and BabeSafe mattress covers and let me know what you think...

Would you buy this for your baby's crib?

CaseyErin

Asked by CaseyErin at 11:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Kids' Health

• How can a product claim to prevent SIDS 100% when no one knows the true cause of SIDS?
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I've seen that before... I think it might help reduce sids... but I don't think it could be 100% what in life is?
    Would I buy it... maybe. In my research I found that SIDs death are increased when a second baby uses the crib matress... because of those gases they were talking about from the first child... so if I wanted to use the same matress again I think I would buy one. I would probably buy a matress pad anyway... might as well get one that might prevent SIDS while I'm at it.
    Most likely though I will buy a new matress for each child
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• SIDS is attributed to any unexplainable infant death and nothing is 100% . No i wouldn't buy this because its just another piece of junk that feeds on mothers fears. And when it comes down to it how do we know that in a year this product wont be found to cause problems in children.

Too many people look at the possible benefits of something rather than think about the possible side effects first.
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 12:12 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I do NOT believe this, nothing is 100% in preventing SIDS or anyother disease. Also, SIDS isn't caused by toxic gases from the mattress, it is caused by the baby not being able to breath because their face is covered or "pushed" into the mattress and they are unable to turn their heads to breath.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:44 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• well I would question it since even the doctors are unsure exactly what causes SIDS.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:20 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• It's stupid and has already been disproven YEARS ago. If you read his study (not a report, but the actual study) he has too many factors for which he didn't control, and his results have never been duplicated (which is one thing that is required before publishing something with the claims such as he was making)

It's garbage.

It's plastic.

You can get the same effect by buying plastic rolls from your local hardware store and wrapping the mattress. However, remember that will make the baby HOTTER because it will hold in the body heat which contradicts what other (more reputable) experts are saying to do.

The "gases" he claims are from chemicals in mattresses don't exist because the chemicals are no longer used in mattresses.

His sample group was too localized and he also had the group start putting babies on their backs, removed the sheepskins they slept on AND wrapped the mattress. How can he say it was the wrap?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• The guy is full of bull and if you do some simple research you'd see that. Great Britain scientists have not been able to duplicate his results and they tried twice shortly after his "study" was released. It's bunk. He made a complete fool of himself, but there are still people who buy his crap theory and make him rich by buying a piece of plastic.

There are no gasses for subsequent children. The problem with reusing mattresses is MOLD and MILDEW caused by bodily fluids getting into the mattress and not drying/being cleaned properly. It doesn't freaking cause SIDS...they're breathing poisons!! Clean a mattress, keep a mattress cover (cloth, not freakin' plastic) on it and protect IT.

There is no known cause for SIDS. And if his "theory" (using that term very loosely) was correct, it would have been touted by all doctors everywhere WAY back when his CRAP first came out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Spott was an idiot. Scientists with GOOD reputations have already shown that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My friend's baby would just STOP BREATHING. If she had died, it would have been called SIDS. Luckily, the first time it happened, my friend saw her baby turning blue and called an ambulance. The baby had to wear a monitor for the first year of her life. The doctors didn't know what caused it, but it happened repeatedly over the first year.

No mattress pad would have prevented it, and babies don't always sleep in the same place, anyway. Mine would fall asleep in my arms, in the car seat, in the swing, etc.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:00 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Wow. I didn't know that crackpot was still around!

That stuff was going around when I was pregnant with my first 6 years ago. It's bunk, and if you take the time to read his research, and the rebuttals published about it, you'll see what kind of bunk it is.

I'm an ex-stats major and couldn't believe the holes in his research!
    Anonymous