Do you ladies think it's worth it...?

I've finally decided that I am going to make my own cloth diapers and diaper covers. Maybe some AIO's, etc.
My son is 12 months old, he was born 3 and a half months early and has yet to really crawl. He's a tad developmentally delayed - the reason I point this out, is a lot of people have me convinced that he'll be potty trained soon. . . I'd like to potty train him as soon as he's walking, which.. I have no idea when that would be.
I'd have to buy another sewing machine, but I'm really wanting to do cloth diapers.
My question to you all.

Do you think it's worth it? Do you think it's worth buying a sewing machine, making the diapers... only to miraculously have him be potty trained in less than a month - is what some mothers are trying to convince me of. Heh.
brutal honestly, please. :] I won't get offended. I'm the one who asked.

K_Sawyer

Asked by K_Sawyer at 12:11 AM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would go ahead and make them. If he is potty-trained...GREAT!! You can always use your sewing machine for other things, and re-sell the cloth diapers and/or put them back for the next baby....plus you will have a new skill-MAKING CLOTH DIAPERS! You could always make them and sell them for others once you have the experience! GOOD LUCK!
    mom2-2crazyboys

Answer by mom2-2crazyboys at 12:23 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Unless you are going to EC he will not potty train by 12 months. I would say 18- 24 months at the youngest. I love Cloth diapering. It is so much nicer than disposables. I would suggest you join the Sewing Diaper Divas group on here. Good luck and have fun sewing.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 12:13 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Boys are harder to potty train then girls. I have babysat and seem mother's in my church potty training their sons by age 3. 12months is a bit early yet if you are motivated it could happen. I have a son and he is two by 26 months I started to potty train him and he was premature by 6 weeks.
    I think if your son is premature it will be some time before he can walk and buy then you still might not be ready to potty train him. I would go and make the cloth diapers. Its way cheaper then buying them and the sewing machine can come in handy when your son gets older so u can make halloween costums for him and med his clothes and such.
    Chize

Answer by Chize at 12:18 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I haven't heard of a one year old being potty-trained before. Most people start potty training their children at 18 months, the earliest. Most babies are potty trained by the time they are 3. I would say MAKE THE DIAPERS!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:21 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• If at one year your son isn't walking there is no way he will be potty trained soon. Don't push him to potty train either. Boys who develop at a "normal" rate usually don't get the concept to closer 2 years old and even 3 or 4 years old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I've always been told they'll let you know when their ready to be potty trained. You can't push him into it.
    marinesweetie

Answer by marinesweetie at 12:53 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Potty training doesn't just happen as soon as kids start walking. It'll probably happen even later since he's developmentally delayed. So don't let that stop you. I however wouldn't make them myself. You will have to pay for the machine, fabric, toss out what goes wrong, etc. You can always buy fairly cheap. I didn't start CDing til DD was over a year old too. But it's still so worth it.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:26 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I would go ahead and do it. My grandson (and even my own son) weren't potty trained until they were right around 3 and even THAT was a struggle! So, yeah, I think you have plenty of time!
    eternallymom

Answer by eternallymom at 9:11 AM on Jul. 7, 2009