Do any other moms out there get depressed cause there always home with they're kids & aren't as "successful" as other women that have kids & work? Do I just have post-partum depression or something?

My child is 4 months old & I've been pretty depressed off & on. I don't have many friends or much of a life besides my three children. I've felt very depressed like I'm a failure as a mother, that I should be more successful in life. While everyone else I know is working, I'm at home & feel like my life is passing me by. I love my kids & there's no where else I'd rather be. I'm not sure why I feel this way & would like other SAHMs opinons on this. I have no money coming in besides child support so I know that's part of the problem. Everyone acts like it's easy to do what ever you wanna do with 3 kids. I have a boyfriend that pays the rent & takes care of his child with me , is starting to tell me my other 2 kids are " my problem". I talked to my doctor about ppd but she brushed me off saying " Lets just see how you feel in a month or two". Please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Jul. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• just cuz you don't work it don't mean your not successful, your a mother of three children who you love and take care off and that's a big job of it's own, you might not get paid money for it but in the long run it pays off cuz you get to raise them and put them on the right path in life and trust me that's a big job. I'm a SAHM and we live off my husbands income and at times it's hard. It's not easy raising 3 kids but you have to focus on what's in front of you and not what could of been.
    I had PD aswell and what helped me get out of mine was working out once I started loosing weight I felt more sexy and motivated to do things. Good Luck
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:25 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Well having no money and a problem like your SO not being there for your other children can depress anyone. You could just feel bad over that and be letting it fall into other areas, like your view of yourself as a mom. Being a SAHM is so very important to your kids. Success is what you decide it is. It doesn't have to be money or a career. You should seek family counseling or maybe couples therapy.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:18 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• i think a lot of mom's get this way.i don't have a lot of experience with the SAHM depressive part but i have been through the unemployed or not employed enough SAH, no to little friends near by or that i want to hang out with and depressiveness.....
    tough situation
    do keep an eye on it, like you can't not!
    is there some sort of group nearby you can join with your kids, or park you can take them too and meet other moms or soemthing? im sure youve thought of this.
    or maybe some part time work a few hours a week or volunteering for soemthing, anything...
    its nice that you bf does that but it sounds like he might be getting resentful?
    push it with your doc if you feel like it wont clear up in amonth or two... what about taking walks, just getting outside and getting some fresh air with or without the kids.. i dont really know you situation...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• You are NOT a failure....repeat YOU ARE NOT A failure
    codysmama2609

Answer by codysmama2609 at 1:26 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• It sound like you need to pray and find something that you like doing.  You can't let yourself fall deep in depression because your kids need you.  It might help you to find someone to talk to as a counselor......  But remember that your kids bring you enjoyment and you the same to them no matter little they are!!!!!!!!!

Try some home base business opportunity that so you will be able to  do something and still be with your kids......    I am a SAHM and I understand that being home sometimes can drive you crazy(LOL)!!!    So I started a home base business opportunity that I love doing and produce a great income...........  If you want to know more about it let me know and I will post the links for.....

IPAmommy

Answer by IPAmommy at 1:48 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I am in the same boat as you with a 6 4 18 month and a 4 month old!! i know exactly how you feel! plus im over weight so if you need someone to talk to you can always talk to me! im a great listner and that always helps me!
    Perdy

Answer by Perdy at 2:07 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Not to the point of depressed, but to some point a little bummed out with my own personal success. Eventually I embraced motherhood and realized that raising my daughter full time was alot more fulfilling, and besides there is plenty of time for work and careers. Childhood is precious and goes by way to fast...
    Supervane

Answer by Supervane at 2:14 AM on Jul. 7, 2009