what age do you stop taking your son to the bathroom with you?

today i saw a lady bring her son who looked at least 7 into the bathroom with her which kind of shocked me. isn't he kind of old to be going into the women's bathroom with his mom still? or am i crazy?

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 1:16 AM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Nope, it is not too old. My sons safety is more important to me than anything else. If I felt uncomfortable letting him go by himself you can be sure I would take him with me. At age eight we started to look for a private bathroom for him to use, like a family bathroom. If he didn't want to go in with me he had to hold it until we found an empty bathroom.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:22 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I think it is getting kind of old, but if I were alone with him somewhere where I didn't want him to be left alone, I'd take him with me.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 1:31 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Not if it is heavily populated and I feel unsafe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My son is 10 and still goes in with me. Sorry but it only takes a few seconds for a man to whip out his penis and dangle it in his face (this happened to my neighbors son). A 10 year old was stabbed to death in a park restroom by a schizophrenic,while his aunt stood right outside the door. If he doesn't have to go I will have him wait right outside the restroom but if he has to go and I do also, he comes with me.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:32 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I don't think that is inappropriate at all. It'd be much different for a seven year old girl to go with her father in a men's room. In a woman's, they are all secluded and he and the women have both their privacy. In a men's room there is no such thing as privacy. I agree with Gigi. There are some sick freaks and they have that alone time with that little boy. Even if you are just outside, you don't have control of what is going on in there until it is too late.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 1:36 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• my sons ar 8, 6 and 2 and they still go in the bathroom with me and probably will until there 13
    mommytothree07

Answer by mommytothree07 at 1:41 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• i say until they are old enough to fend for themselves, you need to take them with you. better yet, make sure everyone uses the restroom before leaving the house and try to find places with family bathrooms if you need to go anyway.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 1:43 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I don't see why it matters. I ave no sons, but I'd take them til I felt safe. It's just being in a bathroom. No one would watch him pee. He wouldn't be watching anyone else pee.....
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:58 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I took my grandson into the ladies room until he was nine. Once he could stand and pee on his own he was alone in the stall but iwas in the bathroom. Now i stand outside the door of the men's room and call for him if I think it is taaking to long. i owuld not hesitate to barge into the men's john if i was worried
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 2:02 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I still take my 7 and 4 year old sons in with me.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:10 AM on Jul. 7, 2009