Have you ever had to have an Amniocentesis?

We will be going in next week for an amnio to make sure our baby is ready enough to be born (10 days earlier than due date). I've heard mostly good things about these, but a few horror stories as well. What's been your experience with this?

hrt_0928

Asked by hrt_0928 at 1:39 AM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had an amnio reduction which is basically an amniocentesis only taking out more fluid.  I was givin an anesthetic and felt nothing.  I was kept in the hospital overnight though for monitoring since there was a chance I could go into labor from it.  I still have a little scar from where the needle went in about 1/2 an inch below my belly button.

LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 2:11 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• The ick factor is the problem. It's not that painful, but it's scary and creepy. Having the needle in there for so long sucked. It felt like that needle was in my belly forever! Also, you can feel the needle going through each layer of tissue. When it went through one of them, I had this overwhelming feeling like I was biting into a fork, but not in my mouth. It was a weird metallic sensation that I couldn't describe except to say I felt like my body was biting into a fork. When I told my regular ob that (my high risk ob had been the one to do the amnio), he looked at a nurse and said the name for that sensation. Apparently that happens when that layer of tissue is pierced.

Overall, it wasn't bad. I was monitored for an hour or so afterward and my son got the hiccups for about 15 minutes. Over the speaker, it sounded like he was rearranging furniture in there!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:20 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I did. When they tell you to stay OFF your feet afterwards...DO IT.

I didn't and had a leak of amniotic fluid that scared me to death. Everything was fine, though.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:16 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• i think they are safe....for the most part. i have had only one in my lifetime and im not going to scare you by going into the full story. however the needle did leave a scar on my sons forearm. he was scratched by it when he moved as they were performing the amnio. it did not cause any harm to the baby and hes doing well now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:17 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I knew 1 girl it sent into labor, and have heard about others.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:43 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I HAD ONE ONLY BECAUSE OF MY AGE, AND IT WAS UNEVENTFUL.

Answer by older at 7:46 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• No, but I will need to for any future children due to complications during my last pregnancy that resulted in my baby dying.

Goodluck with everything!!
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 8:41 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• 10 days? That's it? Well, I guess better safe than sorry. You're over 38 weeks, so the baby should be just fine. I had one born at 36 weeks and he came home with me.

No one ever HAS to have an amnio. You CHOOSE to have one.

It hurt like hell. The needle goes through an area in your stomach where they've numbed you with a local...but that's it. It feels like real bad local cramps. Once the needle is out, the pain pretty much over. You'll stay still and they'll monitor the baby with an ultrasound for about an hour (not ultrasound the entire time...but you'll be monitored that long. at least I was)

Mine had nothing to do with my age and I am definitely an older first time mom. I had one to rule out problems suggested during another screening test at 18 weeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I had one in my first pregnancy -- I was having twins, and b/c of MY health issues the dr wanted to take them at 36.5 weeks. She wanted to do the amnio first to make sure the babies were ready. They were only able to get fluid from my son (my dd kept grabbing at the needle - seriously!), and it took 12 hours to get the results. I was already hospitalized on bedrest, so I was not up and moving around afterwards.

My one thing that I told the dr upfront was that I did NOT want to see the needle! She was very accomodating. It didn't hurt like a shot would, but there was definitely discomfort. I agree with pp that the amount of time that the needle is in can be uncomfortable, and I did not anticipate how much they had to move it around once it was in there!! It's not as scary as it may sound, and being so close to the end of the pregnancy, even if it triggered labor, it's not as traumatic.

Good luck!
    TwinMomma122304

Answer by TwinMomma122304 at 8:49 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Amnio's are always optional. No one can force you to have one and many women opt out if its for things such as age, high risk, or prematurity issues. I think that they are basically unnecessary because of my belief that nothing changes in my decisions accept for more information. It just gives you information. Thats all and there are risks associated with it. You just have to weigh the pros and cons. Personally, having birthed 4 children, being 10 days early does not seem like a reason for an amnio. Many babies are way more than 10 days early. Thirty seven weeks is considered full term and youre almost 38 1/2. Hope all goes well with your delivery!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:20 AM on Jul. 7, 2009